Chapter 3 - This...is Going to Hurt

I shook of the painful memory and squared my shoulders, “What is it.” I said, trying to sound strong. But in the night-filled forest my voice sounded small and vulnerable.  They took stepped closer, I took one step away but hit the back of a thick barky tree. “L-L-leave m-me al-l-one.” I stuttered out, not even bothering to hid the fear in my voice. The complete terror that was speeding through my body.

 They didn’t say anything, which I think scared me the most. Because if they weren’t talking they were doing something else. My hands clawed against the tree, trying to keep my weakening knees from taking my whole body down with them.

“You think you’re smart, huh?” Clary spat. My body visibly tensed up. Maybe it would be better if they didn’t talk.

 “You think you can show us off like that, and get away from it!” They were getting closer to me.

“Huh?” Clary was the one doing all the talking the other three just watched. Let me take over my wolf howled. I knew that if I did, things were going to get even worse for me, so I ignored her rage-filled voice in my mind

“Can’t you just leave me alone!” I screamed.  They laughed. Clary raised her hand.  I closed my eyes and braced for impact.

The first punch came soon after that. It smashed into my face probably shattering my cheek bone at the same time and sending my head painfully spinning sideways.

“You are NOTHING!”

The next shot was aimed at my stomach, constricting my breathing.

“USELESS!”

I couldn’t fight back, even if I hated violence I could understand knowing enough to protect yourself.

My legs collapsed and I curled into a ball. “MURDERER!”

The pack had always laughed me away when I wanted to join training. In the end I had given up on learning. My body as heavy as a sack of potatoes. 

“BURDEN!”Every inch of my skin was searing as I was hit and kicked repeatedly over and over. Their shoes pounded my bones and their hands tore my skin.

“LOSER!” The tears were rapidly falling down, but even they hurt. I’ll try to take away the pain my wolf soothed. I could feel her channelling away some of the hurt. But it wasn’t enough. Their laughter rang in my ears and was the last thing I heard before I let the darkness consume me.

*Ash’s view*

She would never know how much it hurt me to do this to her. I know I pretended to hate her. Hell, it was difficult. But she made me so mad! After the rogue attack everyone needed someone to blame and they zoned in on a sad little girl. Including me. Suddenly all the pressure was on me, and I wasn’t about to ruin everything, my popularity, my friends, my reputation for a sad little girl that the world hates. So I chose them instead of her.

 In full, it had taken me three years to fully carve the hate into my heart.  The incident at the lake was like my real initiation to the pack. The moment I left the lake-side I felt so….in. You were either with the pack or not.

 I know I should feel guilty, and sometimes i do. Sometimes when I’m lying in my bed, or when I’m making out with a random chick who’s name I don’t know and sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night with her name on my lips and not been able to sleep for the rest of the night.

 But I hid all that, in the back of my head. I was disgusted at her weakness and the way she never fought back. I hated it when she locked herself up in the library or the way her forehead creased when she was thinking really hard or the way that she would always come back to school, or to the pack house, no matter how bad the day had been.

And the way that she was so stupid. Because of her actions before the pack meeting Clara was thoroughly pissed and had convinced Simon, Marco and I to make her pay for it. Clara did the first hit, but she didn’t want to get her nails dirty. So we did the rest. We all laughed, but I knew mine was slightly forced. When it was finally we left.

 My 16th birthday was tomorrow and I was going to find my mate. Which would be excellent, because then I wouldn’t have to put up with the nagging thoughts of Alexis. I spent another couple of hours rolling over and over in my bed before deciding that if I was ever going to get a good night sleep and enjoy my birthday tomorrow I would have to make sure she was ok.