Haiti In Our Hearts [4]

Nathan stood before the two huddles of bricks, his body arched down taking in deep breaths. He grabbed anything he could get his hands on from the tent. Water, cloth, bread etc. He took in one last final breath and swiftly paced towards the brick. His head was swirling with fear; his cheeks were now deeply flushed due to the heat. He crouched down as his blonde hair bopping on his forehead.

Nathan did an intake of the sweltering air and crawled further. His bulky worked around the edges of the tiny hole making it somewhat larger. Within a few minutes, Nathan managed to make it large enough to fit his body. He slowly flipped onto his back and slipped into the hole.

The small cave captured the light illuminating from the sun through the hole. Straining his eyes, Nathan used the light to gaze at his surroundings, his eyes darting around as uneasiness seeped in. Several pairs of frightened eyes glared at him, a bottomless sea of sorrow reflection trouncing his eyes. His eyes rested on depressed baby lying on the solid bumpy floor. He looked at the face of a person with its whole life ahead but instead he saw a face that has endured terrible heartache, having a hopeless view in life yet the empty eyes polished it off.

They were like bottomless oceans, whirlpool of pent up anger and sorrow altering into hate.

The sound of scuffling seized Nathan's attention away from the baby to a teenage girl hunkering on the solid floor with her hands pressed firmly on the granite, glaring at her injury. Nathan recognised her as the person he saw earlier.

As he scurried towards her, dragging his legs against the granite, Sapphire tore her eyes away from her leg and peered into Nathan's. The emerald ocean in his eyes shimmered dimly as the light peeking in from the hole hit them. She swiftly transfixed her gaze back on her leg whilst scuffling backwards away from him. Despite the obvious, Nathan crawled towards her but this time he gently clutched her hands before she could move away again.

Utterly stunned, Sapphire stared at him as her eyes clouded with panic before altering to pure anger. She jerked her hand away fierce fully whilst glaring at him.

He slid his hands into his pocket and fetched out a bandage - he so kindly borrowed from the tent - and placed in into her hands, softly caressing her fingers. She dug her fingernails into his hand as her eyes shot up.

There it goes again, the eyes!

Her round, russet eyes were clouded over by a wave of rage. A callous pit filled with resentment and hatred but just within a blink of an eye it washed over, making way for the usual sorrow filled chocolate eyes.

He jumped back, dazed at her violence yet slightly amused at her strength. He sustained to gaze at her, marvelling her strength even though something wasn't quite right.