Haiti In Our Hearts [1-Part Two]

*************------Haiti in Our Hearts [Chapter One] Part TWO -------**********

Recap:

Her eyes were darting around before focusing again on the source of the irritable dripping sound.

Her Leg

It was the dripping of blood

The terror in her eyes was clearly the concern of her blood being drained slowly from her,

.....from her anaemic body.

The sound of shuffling woke Sapphire up from her strained sleep, her eyes slowly opened to the damp gloomy area she was in. Her eyes caught an elderly man's struggle to shift about, his murky russet eyes filed with sorrow and regret. His filthy, torn overalls so wet from lying in the muddy puddles, clung to his skin as if seeking protection yet ensuing the frequent yet small gasps of shivers that escaped his mouth. The large clunk of metal restrained both his legs; the burden plunged on him with such force. Sapphire twisted around to block the hurting looks on all their faces, no longer managing to hold her tears of grief. They trickled down her no longer soft bronzed skin.

Her face creased with rage at her show of weakness, illustrating her weak spot. She hauled up her hand toward her face and fiercely chafed the tears away, wincing frequently at the stroke of the wounds. Once she was satisfied with the masking of her emotions, her face calmed and eliminated the creasing lines on her forehead, sorrow rushed back rapidly into her eyes as she hung her face in torment. She glared through the curtains of her dark golden hair, at the tiny ray of light illuminating from the tiniest hole, closed in with all the fallen bricks, that was the remaining source of light. Each day Sapphire would stare at the light as if it refilled hope.

5 days

5 lengthy, exhausted days

With each hour hope diminishing ....

The seconds flew by making minutes, the minutes ticked by passing through hours and before Sapphire knew the end of the day was looming over everyone. The ray of light giving the civilians of Haiti an ounce of hope, dimmed until it was dark hours engulfed it completely. Hope was closing in on her and there was nothing she could do about that.

She winched her head up and peered around and once more took in her surroundings, the heart-rending face of an 18 month old baby, his big round eyes empty with endless tears, his mouth pursed into a thin line, silenced from the disaster, and his sleep suit drenched in blood.

It was his mother's blood.

.....The noble deed that kicked in due to maternal instincts. His mother protectively hauled her arms and securely wrapped him underneath her body, causing her to arch her back forward.

...and she faces the cruel consequences.

The blood draped from her back landing on her beloved baby, she was transfixed into place. One move caused excruciating and lasting pain, her spine visible to others, though no one thought to look.

Her eyes darted further across the area and focused on the lady wincing with pain...hunger....grief, it was hard to tell. Her small dark brown eyes fluttered open and shut, playing some kind of tug of war. She clutched her stomach and bent forward, wincing again.

Maybe it was hunger...

Her attention was cut due to the noise.

A darkly tanned, striking young boy scuffled about, muttering inaudible words under his breath. Out of all the other civilians, Sapphire knew this boy and she loathed him with every fibre of her being, they go back a long time in tragic life. The one thing that escalated the hate further was the fact that he was not hurt at all. He was just caved in. Sapphire did not know whether it was luck or fate.

He glared at her with his dark murky eyes and she instantly turned away from him, but not feeling all the pent-up feelings - none of them healthy - that he caused, all the horrific moments that he caused, all the people that turned against her due to him.

Him

Jermaine Zawu Jackson

He was a manipulative person who loves control and she was his little puppet.

Sometimes she would feel as if she deserved no happiness in her life, no love, nothing.

Sometimes, she would feel like this earthquake was meant for her

Sometimes she would feel like she should die

No matter how ridiculous her thoughts were.....

....Sometimes she would feel like she should do everyone a favour

......and she should just take her life

Right here, right now