Chapter Three

Copyright © 2012 All Rights Reserved

Chapter 3

How I hated the doctors, yet here I was.

The fluorescent ceiling lamps made my eyes hurt, despite my grogginess. Someone was standing above me, snapping their gloved fingers. I squinted, before looking left then right, taking in my surroundings. I was most definitely in a hospital, I coughed a couple times and the snapping stopped. But now there were three people looking down at me, my mother and father being two out of the three.

"You passed out love," my mother's fingers stroked my hair. I went to touch her face but something yanked and pulled at my arm. An IV was the identified culprit; I grimaced and whined, it hurt like hell. I glared at the piece of plastic the doctors had carefully inserted.

"W-what happened?" I asked starting to sit up, only to be pushed back down. "Hey, get your hands off me," I scolded as the young nurse looked at the doctor for help. My mother shushed me, "don't make a scene Hansel." Her voice was settling.

"You're anemic." She whispered in my ear and I gave her a confused look. I've never been anemic, why the sudden change?

"When did this happen? I drink lots of water, and I pee and poop on the regular." I started causing my mother to turn a bright red.

"Ah, the crudeness, she definitely gets that from me." My father laughed and I chewed on my lip.

"Too much information?" I questioned and my father used his hand to say 'just a little'.

"It's quite alright," said the doctor. He had red hair and blue eyes. No facial hair and he smiled like flowers. "At least we know she's not constipated," he laughed along with my father. My mother rolled her eyes. 'Men' she mouthed to me.

"So tell me doctor, how does this anemic thing work?" He rubbed his chin.

"It's not so uncommon these days. Vampires drinking people dry is the reason for most," how I wished he hadn't said that. My mother and father both looked at me. I shook my head. "But not always," he said and I swear my mother stopped holding her breath. "You're fine; you just have to eat more. How's your appetite been? "

"Not so good doc," I admitted and he nodded.

"She's fine, really. Here's a note, she can go to school tomorrow if she feels up to it. If anything changes, paling, night sweats, things of that sort then bring her back." He finished and my father took the note that Doctor Harmon had written.

"Thanks," said my dad and the ginger doctor nodded. The nurse relieved my body of all needles and even gave me a purple band-aid. I thanked her and we left.

The cool night air forced me to put on my jacket. I rubbed my arms as we headed towards the car; my parents were watching their surroundings. It was dangerous to go out at night, Vampires lurked in the darkness.

We made it home safely. I jogged upstairs to my room, my phone vibrating rapidly on my night stand. I slipped off my sweats and top before putting on a long t-shirt. But what surprised me was the missed call from a number I hadn't seen in a long time. Logan.

I didn't know what to do, so I called the first person I thought of. "What's happening?" Asked Payton from the other end. I smiled, "I have a question."

"About?" She wondered.

"Do you remember Logan?" I asked and she began to laugh out loud. I smacked my forehead as her laughter became contagious and I began to giggle myself.

"Oh, the pain" she cried before finally gaining control. "Of course I remember him, your first crush. What grade were we in, seventh?" She questioned.