Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Sweat dripped from my chin.

I dribbled up the court, looking for someone to throw to. Nobody was open, I was on my own. I looked at the girl in front of me, a grin on my face. I went left, then right, then- she stole the ball. I groaned before running back down the court. I sucked at basketball. She scored a lay-up, my temporary team mates glaring at me.

“I’m sorry; I told you I don’t play point.” I cried answering their unspoken questions.

How I hated Phys. Ed. I stepped out of the locker rooms and headed towards Vampire History, the only class we shared with vampires. Humans stayed on one side of the room, the vampires on the other. No line separated us, just fear and anxiety. I fell into my seat and laid my head on the desk. I was so exhausted; there was no way I was going to make it through this class.

“Well, don’t you look darling?” Payton said a big grin on her face. She sat next to me and pulled out her notebook.

“Ah, shut it. Not everybody can be pro-everything like you.” I mumbled before slowly sitting up. I grabbed my notebook and pink pen. It definitely gave that extra “pop” to my notes.

“Don’t be a hater Hansel” her tone was playful but I still grimaced. I wasn’t a hater I just have no hand-eye-coordination. “I love this class, it’s so…different.” Her eyes were practically dancing. “Don’t you?” She questioned and I shook my head.

“It’s awkward, and a tad disturbing. I despise this class” I lied with a smile on my face.

“Don’t be a smart ass,” she commented and I shrugged. The teacher began, sipping his coffee. Mr. Langston was tall and lean. A little on the older side, gray hairs poking through his bush of black curls, he was rugged. He had stubble on his chin, dark, cocoa colored skin with brown eyes, and a killer smile. I sighed as I watched him walk towards the board. So I had a small case of jungle fever, but the man looked good.

“Alright class, let’s get started.” What a great opening.

After class I made my way towards lunch. I wasn’t paying attention, not to the line, or anyone else. I ran into someone, and as I fell everything around me seemed to pause. I hit the ground with a small thud, my books falling to the floor. When I looked up, I was more than surprised. Not only had I ran into someone, I had run into a vampire.

It was the blonde one with the staring problem, but that didn’t shock me. What he did next is what shocked me. He purposefully stepped across the line and offered his hand. I looked around me, everyone watching my next move. Before I could take his offered hand, a boy named Hank smacked his hand away. That caused the blonde vampire’s head to whip towards Hank.

“Get away from her,” he ordered. Someone came up from behind me to help me up while I watched the altercation (that I had caused) unfold.

“What did you say?” The blonde vampire questioned. Hank kept his head up, he didn’t cower or run away, he stood his ground. He looked the vampire in the eyes, took two steps towards him and spoke, “I said get away from her.” His voice was so demanding, the vampire tilted his head.

The vampire stepped closer, got into his face, “are you planning on making me?” He asked and Hank’s jaw clenched. His fists, which were hanging at his waist, clenching and unclenching, I prayed they wouldn’t do anything stupid.

“Stop,” I said pushing Hank back. He looked down at me before looking at the vampire. A red headed vampire girl grabbed the blonde’s arm, tugging him back onto their side of the floor. I saw heard her say “not now”. It made me wonder, then when?