Chapter 4: Curiosity

Come on Luce, only for a second!

The voices continued, getting nearer and nearer. What should I do? Running to hide behind the machinery, I tripped over something. 

Crunch.

I had just crushed Jeff's bones. Wait, bones?

The front door started creaking open. I grabbed the cheese from the counter and jumped inside one of the mixing barrels.  

"Emily, I don't like this at all!" the girl, Luce squealed.

"Deal with it, Luce. You wouldn't want me telling Ryan about this would you?" Emily's voice rang with authority as she spoke. Sounds like my kind of girl, I thought. 

The two girls were bickering in the factory for what felt like hours. I felt smothered by the darkness in my hiding place, but I stayed put. 

To my horror, they stumbled upon Jeff.

"Is that bones?!" Luce screeched while holding up a shaky finger

"Bones? Oh yeah, didn't I tell you? The guy that owned this factory a million years ago killed all his workers." Emily said nonchalantly.

I froze and listened intently. How is this common knowledge? I only killed Jeff a few hours ago! Or did I? I stared down at the cheese in my arms. Other than it being about two times bigger than I remember, it looked exactly the same - no mould, no dust, nothing. 

That was the moment when I decided to follow the girls

^^^^^^^

 When I knew they had closed the door, I stumbled out of the barrel. Finally free to stretch my legs, I sprinted after the two girls. 

The darkness outside cloaked my figure as I ran. Not that anyone would see me, considering the street was deserted. It didn't take long to catch up to them. After they came into sight, I adjusted my pace so that they wouldn't see me lurking behind them. 

Curious how much the town had changed since I last saw it. Now, there were looming buildings with strong bright lights from every window. It was enough to make you feel alienated. The only thing I recognised was the church. Its rusted hands told me it was 4:03 am. No wonder at the silence. 

The figures ahead, cast dimly in the lamplight, turned around a sharp corner onto a road filled with quaint little cottages. Stopping at one of the houses in considerable disrepair, the girls walked in. Seeing a window to the side of the house, I observed. 

^^^^^^^