Chapter 1: Pulling On His Heart Strings

As you may have guessed, my name is Jack. Like anyone else, i have good and bad points to my life. Before all this began, I was a simple apprentice to my father, the Cheese Maker. I was nothing special and nobody took any notice of my feeble comments.

But i liked it that way. That means that noone noticed when i did something wrong. This I did quite often. To keep up with my work, I stole from the other apprentice - some Phil or other. He was as brainy as he was ugly and my father was on the edge of terminating his existence.

Being head of our cheese factory was a large responsibility. My father had to monitor the workers every hour they worked so that they did not stray from our secret recipe. He also had to keep track of finances and look after his apprentices. However, as time went by, he often lost track of what he was doing. His midriff grew from his cheese consumption and his heart was thudding under great strain.

Thud-Thuud. Thud- Thuud.

My father kept to himself so much that I had not comprehended his condition until his heart had finally given up.  

^^^^^^^

His funeral was as brief as the heart attack that seized him. I had no vengence. Staring at the wooden crate disappearing under the mound of dirt, i realised that i did not know the man that should have been there for me. Yet I did not care.

The time passed slowly after the funeral. It was as if it was trying to compensate for the quick affair that had just commenced. Now the pressure of running the factory was down to me.

As I began sifting through the masses of yellowing financial statements, I realised that our business was six feet in debt. Cursing my father's name, I set a-fire the logs in the fireplace and burned the documents. It was time to start afresh.

^^^^^^^^

The next day, as i was eating my breakfast, a stranger walked into my house. He was dressed in a black penguin suit with a navy coloured shirt and a bright red bow tie. I glanced up at this approaching figure with curiosity.

"Mr Daniels?" His mouth uttered.

"Yes. And who are you, Sir?"

"I was your father's attourney"

He also mumbled something regarding his comiserations on my loss. If I am honest, I tuned out after this part of his long, rambling speech. It was only when he placed an eviction notice on my desk that i started to pay attention.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~