Langston

We decided to follow Langston. He didn’t seem so droopy and dirty once he started to talk about the wonders of Funnel Village.

      “Sir, what did you mean when you said that you’ve been waiting for us?” That had been the question in my mind ever since he had said it.

         Langston looked down at the ground which we were all walking on. Then he looked up at me on my horse. “You four are the hope of Funnel Village. I know that you see that our city has…darkened. You must sense it also.”

       Galena answered, “That’s why we are here. We think that it tracks down to the castle. King Ward is behind it.”

       Langston’s face twitched. “That is a great deal of information, children. Where did you get it from?”

      “Well, it looked suspicious how the days were –’’ I started to explain.

       Galena shot me a warning look. “Just a hunch,” she lied.

       Langston raised his eyebrows. He was probably wondering why Galena was acting so secretive. I mean what was the big deal about telling someone how we came to suspect King Ward?

      Langston continued to lead us along the curvy streets, receiving curious glances from strange pedestrians. The dark paths seemed to glow once we walked through them.

      At one point, Galena fell to the back of the group and motioned me to join her. “I don’t trust this peasant,” she whispered.

      I looked up at Langston who was smiling broadly as he explained the importance of various parts of the town to Aaron. He seemed fine to me.

       I shook my head at Galena’s comment and started to speed up to catch up to the rest of them.

      “This ‘ere is Waddle’s Shop.” He gestured towards a worn down building that basically shrieked evil. The windows were boarded up and the walls were peeling. Langston leaned in closer to us. “It’s fer the fun ones, eh?”

        Aaron didn’t seem so sure. “Sorry, sir, but the place looks… dark.”

      Langston laughed uncontrollably for the next few minutes. “That’s what I said then. The place is the funhouse of Funnel Village!”

       Galena nodded at me vigorously. “Look at him!” she breathed.

     I was about to roll my eyes but thought better of it. Langston did seem to be a bit of a shady character.

     Langston trotted up to the door of the shop. “Wanna peak?” He smiled, revealing crooked, yellow teeth.

      Safire smiled like she had just received a new castle by the shore. “Ooh! That sounds splendid!”

       Aaron stopped her from going in. “Not so fast, my majesty. This shop looks suspicious.”

      “Nothing ter worry ‘bout, kitties. Little bit of fun is all.” Langston opened the door and invited us in.

      “No!” I shouted. “I don’t think that would be a good idea. Can you just show us to King Ward’s castle?”

     “Terribly sorry for your loss,” Langston shoved us all in the shop against our will. “I have no intention to bring you to my lord’s castle.”

      “Your Lord?” Galena’s voice went high. “You work for King Ward!”

       He nodded, as he locked the door. “You five may get in his way. And Lord Ward don’t like nobody gettin’ in his way.”

       Aaron lunged for him but Langston magically disappeared. He reappeared a few feet away wearing a black cape and a top hat. “Lord Ward intends on rising again but you princesses and that pauper are to get in his way. The fates predicted it. I must kill all of you except… Princess Ericka.”

      They immediately turned their heads to glance at me. Why was I so special?

     Galena grabbed my wrist. “You don’t touch Ericka!” She said those words in such a forceful tone that I was so shocked that that was actually Galena.

      Aaron pulled out his sword. “You won’t be killing any of us!”

     Langston tugged on the brim of his top hat. With his left hand, he pulled out a large ax from his belt. How hadn’t I noticed that ax before? It’s gigantic! “I have weapon skills of maximum! Do not even dare to beat me.”

       I tapped the charm and felt the familiar, comfortable grip in my hands. The gold sword glistened in the dim light. I could see dusty, over turned tables and several chairs.

       “Princess Ericka of Donstania,” Langston smiled like an evil villain. “Lord Ward knows that you are a special case. You need not to die with the odders. Cometo me and perhaps I will grant you your life.”

            That sounded like a horrible offer. “I am the princess of Donstania. If you even touch my sisters and I, my father will have you head.”

           Langston continued to grin. “Your father don’t even know where you four are! How the heck is he supposed to find you or me?”

           I held my sword firmly. My palms were sweaty and my heart was beating like a drum. This was the first time I used my sword in a real life battle against an evil force.

         “Now come easy then. We need not to make dis more painful, eh?” Langston gripped his ax and stared at us, waiting.

        Aaron charged at Langston, holding his sword high above his head.

        Langston swung his ax and the back hit Aaron’s hand. Blood started to trickle down his hand but he still jabbed the sword at Langston’s chest.

        I started to engage in the fight as well. Langston looked genuinely scared as my feet lifted up from the ground. I slashed my sword at his face, missing by maybe a millimeter.

        Aaron stopped to gaze up at me. “Nice swing, my majesty. But you must remember to use more power from your upper arm.” I smiled a little and followed his instructions.

         Raising my sword higher, I sliced at Langston. Langston just managed to jump out of the way of getting skewered.

        “You’re fast, my princess,” Langston commented, regaining his sly smile. “I think you should consider joining sides with Lord Ward. We need great warriors like you.”

        Great warriors like me? But then I realized what he was trying to do. “You can’t try and do that, Langston. I’m dedicated to stopping you.”

        Langston immediately scowled which made him look like a villain mastermind. His thick brown eyebrows knit close together and he squinted his beady eyes to look like a devious predator. His back stood crooked and his arms hung from his sockets. I was surprised that his weak arms could hold such a heavy ax. Langston’s black coat draped over his shoulders and was much too big.

         “If you are not interested, my princess, then perhaps I must battle harder. You see, I must defeat you! Or Lord Ward—er—my master is sure to punish me merciless.” Langston held the ax above his head, ready to swing. Sweat was dripping down his face. I knew the pressure was getting to him.

       I was ready to slash my sword at him when suddenly Langston fell to the ground. I looked around the room, confused.

        Aaron stood by Langston’s body. “I knocked him out. My princesses, we need to get going. I fear that King Ward is growing stronger for sure.”

        Safire nodded, stowing away her weapon. “There are probably more of ‘em, too.”

      “Wait,” Aqua pulled a quill out from her bag and a piece of parchment. She scribbled some words on it and left it by Langston’s body. “It’s a message to King Ward,” she explained. “To let him know that we are going to stop him.”

        All of us smiled. Courage was exactly what we needed.