What is this talk of darkness?

I was in my bed chamber which was on the third floor of the castle, gazing out the window. Could my powers work even through a large, heavy piece of glass? I lifted my hand and motioned for the air from outside to come in, without breaking the fine window. I had practiced my powers numerous times before and sometimes they actually worked.

            Amazingly, this was one of those times.  I felt the cold, crisp winter air rush towards my arm. And the window only had a tiny crack!  I felt so proud when suddenly something caught my eye from outside.

            A horse-drawn carriage pulled up the entrance by the outer wall. I watched as Raul, our head security guard, walked up to it, a sword in one hand. I had to see this!

            Become the air, I thought. This had only worked once before but this was important. I concentrated hard, as my tutor had told me to do. Then, I was the air.

            I pushed forward, out that crack in the window. Then I surged to where the carriage was.

            “King Darius invited me,” the man in the carriage was telling Raul. It was a younger voice, full of fun and laughter… I knew who this was.

            “Sir, we request you come out so we can prepare you for the king,” Raul said in his stern, deep voice.

            The carriage door opened and Aaron Delgado stepped out, smiling.

            Raul frowned. “Do you ever wash? You are as dirty as… as dirt! Is this how you present yourself for the king? Do you even comb your hair?” Raul was running his fingers through Aaron’s hand. “What are you, a peasant?”

            Aaron jerked out of Raul’s reach. “I do wash, okay? I like my hair this way!”

            Raul shook his balding head in disapproval. His biceps bulged. “Kids these days,” he whispered.

            “Follow me, Mister Delgado,” Raul led the way through the winding garden to the main entrance. I followed them, as well.

            Raul opened the door but stopped Aaron from going in. “Wipe your feet first.”

            Aaron did, reluctantly. Then Raul led Aaron in and they were immediately emerged with servants offering foods and drinks. I followed, humored.

            Then Raul turned to leave, shutting the door behind him, saying, “King Darius will be with you shortly. Mind your manners.”

            I rubbed my hands together quite mean. I wanted to play a ‘prank’ on Aaron Delgado.

            Still the air, I spoke in my best male imitated voice, “Why have you trespassed my domain, Aaron Delgado?”

            Aaron fumbled around, frightened. “Who is this?”

            I held in a laugh. “Your worst nightmare!”

            But then the door slammed open, sending Aaron jumping.

            Father looked at Aaron, concerned. “Did I scare you?” He didn’t wait for an answer, however, but carried on. “Thank you for coming. I ask you for one favor.”

            “Yes, my Lord,” Aaron asked, back on his feet. All people in the kingdom called Father Lord. It was a way of respect.

            Father turned his head in both directions to make sure no one was around the in the den. “I request that you accompany my daughters to the annual ball. It is in ten days and is also their birthday. For I sense darkness is near. Keep an eye out for my daughters, please, especially Ericka.”

            My heart beat faster, why me? Why especially me? Chills ran through my body. What darkness was arriving. I pushed through the door into the air and back through my cracked window. I had had enough of this conversation.

            I fell through the window and landed on the paved floor as myself, not the air. I should have been celebrating. Celebrating that I had accomplished this air trick that I had only achieved once before. But I was too scared. Darkness is near? I felt like I was standing in darkness and I immediately ran to my sister’s chamber, too afraid to be alone.

            Four restless, powerful princesses in one room wasn’t the best thing ever.

            We’ve had our own meetings like this before. But they were usually about who received their power and new powerful tricks. None of them were about darkness coming near.

            We were in Galena’s room, obviously. With the rock collection in one corner and a The Paupers poster on every timber wall, you could easily tell that it was her room.

           Safire was trying hard to set Galena’s desk on fire. But everything in the castle was made fire-proof since Safire received her powers.

            “I called you all here to discuss an important crisis. Like real-important,” I looked at each of my sisters.

            “Real important?” Aqua asked. “Like my new perfume? It’s called Ocean Blue!”

            “Even more important than that.”

            My sisters gasped. There were hardly anything more important than perfume in our lives.

            I told them what I had seen.

            “Aaron was here?” Galena shrieked. “Nobody told me! Is he still here?”

            I shook my head. “This is serious. Father said darkness is coming. What should we do?”

            My sisters exchanged nervous glances.

            Galena finally spoke, “What else can we do?”