Chapter 6

Chapter 6

The next few weeks of school were hell for Shane. Everywhere he would go, it was as if Anna was with him. He could hear every thought going through that pretty head of hers. He learned to tune out the boring things, but that wasn’t often. Many of her thoughts consisted of snarky or sarcastic comments that amused Shane. The thoughts of Jake hurt. It was as if someone was ripping out his heart and soul. The pain was almost unbearable. It had become habit of him to carry around pain killers and pop them like candy. He was afraid the he might be nicknamed House but by this point he didn’t really care. There were a few thoughts that were beneficial to Shane.

‘How does someone have eyes that blue? God, they’re so beautiful. He’s so beautiful. Sandy is pretty but wow. Her brother is amazing.’

The thoughts like these had an affect better than ecstasy for Shane. He would glance at the seat beside him and Anna would hurry and look away with a blush across her face. This would produce a chuckle from Shane. But always, right after one of these thoughts, there would be a pain in his chest followed by more of Anna’s thoughts.

‘Shit. It’s like he fucking knows. Shane, if you can hear my thoughts, I was kidding. I love Jake and you know that. Fuck, if anyone out there could hear my thoughts, they would think I was fucking insane.’

And there goes another painkiller.

Shane wasn’t stupid. He realized what was going on. But it didn’t make any sense. It wasn’t supposed to be possible. He needed to have a serious talk with Sandy and Greg this afternoon.

***

“But Shane, our soul mates are people like us. We can’t bond with mortals. You know that,” Sandy told her brother for the millionth time that evening.

“I know the rule. But then explain to me how I hear her thoughts. Explain to me the affect she has on me. Sandy, you have three missed calls from her and she doesn’t understand why you’re not answering. She’s about to try again in three seconds.”

Sandy looked at her cell phone just in time to answer.

“Hey baby girl,” Sandy greeted with the fake Southern accent that Shane hated.

“I’m sorry. I’m with Shane right now. I’ll be over in just a second.”

There was a slight pause but Shane knew what was being said and thought on the other end.

“Oh. Well, it’s no rush just whenever.” ‘Please hurry. I’m freaking out right now.’

“No worries. I’m on my way”

With that, Sandy hung up the phone. Shane let out a deep sigh.

“She’s freaking out because she’s paranoid about her thoughts with me and she’s confused about her feelings. Guide her to Jake until I figure this out.” Shane reached over to kiss his sister’s cheek before she left. As she was walking out the door she turned to Shane one more time.

“You know what you have to do?”

Shane nodded solemnly. “That’s where I’m headed now.”

***

Annalee pulled Sandy in her house before she even had a chance to knock.

“Whoa. Holy shit. Cool it trick. I need that arm.” Sandy fussed while rubbing where Anna had pulled her. Anna rushed them up the stairs and into her room, slamming the door.

There was a certain panic in her eyes. “Sandy, I have a really weird feeling.”

“What do you mean?”