Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Jake threw some money on the table to cover the half-eaten food. Grabbing Annalee's hand, they hurried out to the car. 

Annalee picked up the cardboard box and started examining it, searching for directions. 

"Dammit Anna, do you see anything? We need to see how serious this is gonna get before we continue, if we even want to. Because frankly, right now I'm pretty creeped out!"

Annalee just rolled her eyes. "Stop being such a baby. It'll be ok. I've read some other Would You Rather questions before that were much worse and this one just seems to point out things that would have happened anyways. Aha!" She looked on the inside of the box's top and started reading the curly stationary.

'Would You Rather...? This is a fun game for anyone and everyone. However, be careful. These cards are very special. Choose your answer wisely, because you never know when you may have to face up to your decisions.'

"See, it's not that bad. We just have to be careful when choosing out answers. I think it'll be fun." Annalee looked at Jake, but he was staring out the windshield, looking extremely focused. "Please Jakey." Annalee poked out her bottom lip and made her eyes really big, giving him her begging face.

Annalee saw him glance at her out the corner of his eye. "Would you stop, please?" Annalee's chin started quivering as she made tears come to her eyes. "Fuck it. Fine. But when things go horribly wrong, don't blame me."

A huge smile took over Annalee's face and her eyes lit up. She threw her arms around Jake, shouting, "Thank You Thank You Thank You!"

"Yea yea. Whatever," Jake ran a hand through his short hair, making it stick up. She knew he was a sucker when she started the waterworks. Jake had no idea how she could force the tears to come but he sure wished he could control his willpower when she did it. But those tears threatening to fall got him every time. He wasn't sure how to tell the difference of when she was in control and when he had really hurt her. Not that it made a difference. Jake promised Annalee when they were younger that he would NEVER be the cause of a single tear on her face. Annalee remembered and used it to her advantage. 

"So, do you want to read another card or wait till tomorrow?" Annalee asked, a smile playing on her lips.

"Hell no. Tomorrow. I have a feeling yours will be happening tomorrow anyways so maybe we should wait."

Annalee suddenly mellowed. "Oh yea. You're right. Crap! I knew I shouldn't have shoved all those books in that stupid locker."

Jake smiled at her, "It's ok Anna. I'll be there. Do you want to stay over at my place tonight?"

Annalee nodded, "Yea, mom and dad are going out tonight and won't be back tomorrow so that sounds good."

By the time they got to Jake’s house, it was almost midnight.

"I didn't think we were out for that long. Geez, now I'm wiped. I wonder what your card is going to say tomorrow," Annalee said before yawning.

Jake scooped her up, bridal style, and carried her up the stairs to his room. "Let's not worry about that tonight. Come on. We need to go to bed."

Annalee wrapped her arms around his neck and started drifting off right in his arms. Jake kissed her forehead, waking her up. "Anna, you need to get dressed for bed. I'm going to take my shower so you can take yours in the morning."

Because they stayed with each other so often, they each had shower items in bathrooms that they shared and drawers filled with each other’s clothes. Jake slowly put Annalee on her feet. She grabbed one of his t-shirts and some under clothes before staggering to the bathroom. Jake stripped down to his boxers and climbed into bed.