The Countdown

Ten. A large screen displayed the blinking red numbers in a room filled with people. The lights were dimmed low and there was no presence of a window, a door, or an exit. A girl around the age of six stirred in her unconscious state. Soon her eyes fluttered open and she sat up on the cold hard ground.

"Momma?", the little girl called out.

Surrounding her were two other girls and three boys. All of them varied in age. The little girl's breathing quickened and tears began to form. Soon a loud crying sound came from the girl.

"Momma! Momma!", the girl whined.

Soon enough, a boy began to stir at the sound. He looked to be about seventeen years old and he was tall. The girl continued to cry out for her mother. Eventually, the boy's eyes darted open and his body shot up.

"H-huh? Where am I?", the boy was confused.

"Momma! Where are you momma!", the girl continued to cry.

The boy finally processed the little girl was crying and crawled over to her to comfort her.

"Hey, hey, what's wrong?", he asked.

The girl momentarily paused her crying with a sniffle before responding to the strange boy.

"I want my mommy. Do you know where my mommy is?", the girl stuttered.

The boy was stricken with confusion and confliction. He didn't know her mom and he didn't know what to tell her.

"I- I don't know, sweetheart, but I will help you find her. For now, may I know your name?"

The little girl paused for a moment. Her mother had always taught her not to talk to strangers, but he was going to help her find her mother. The girl took a deep breath before giving away her name.

"My name is Ember and I'm six!"

"Ember? Wow! That's such a cool name; and you're six? Wow, you're such a big girl! My name is Jackson."

"Nice to meet you, Jackson.", Ember smiled.

"Nice to meet you too, Ember. Do you know anyone here, darling?"

Ember nodded no, quickly, and a girl began to wake. The girl looked to be around the age of ten.

"W-where am I? Where am I?", the girl began panicking.

Jackson moved over to her to try and calm her.

"Hey, calm down. I don't think any of us know where we are. My name's Jackson, I'm seventeen years old and I'm going to try and help everyone here. May I know your name?", Jackson coaxed.

"M-my name is Ivy. I'm ten.", she spoke with fear.

"Nice to meet you Ivy. Do you recognize anyone else here?"

Ivy scanned the room. "N-no, I don't. I'm sorry."

"No, no, that's ok, Ivy. I was just wondering.", Jackson reassured.

Soon enough, another person was stirring. It was a boy that looked to be around fourteen or fifteen.

"What the hell? Where am I?", the boy muttered.

Jackson followed the somewhat protocol and went to greet the boy.

"My name is Jackson. I'm seventeen years old and no one knows where we are. May I ask your name?"

The boy just stared at Jackson with a blank expression. "My name's Killian."

"Killian? That's a cool name. Do you mind if I ask your age?", Jackson responded.