Humanatural; Van Helsing: Pt 3

• Dedicated to Kim Gyngell

"What's the theory then?" Theresa asked.

Luel and Judd groaned. It seemed they had rapidly grown sick of Cherish's crack pot theories.

"I know that the power of the protector is only ever given to the first born of the generation." She said. "I am of course the only of my generation in my family my father on the other hand has an older brother. He would have inherited the power and the sword."

"So you just need to ask your uncle for the sword." Theresa said.

"Her uncle disappeared about ten years ago. Ran off with his wife." Luel explained.  

"Oh." Theresa said.

"All I need to do is track wherever he went. There must be records of him somewhere." She said.

"But why do you need to find Avalon?" She asked.

"I just do. I don't know why but I have a feeling that when I find Avalon I can fix things." Cherish admitted. "I'm a warrior. A knight of the round table." 

It was something to be admired. Cherish was unstoppable in almost every single way. She would never give up no matter what the situation was. 

"It's impossible." People would tell her.

She would shake her head and look at them as though they were foolish children. "No, not impossible. Just highly improbable." She would say. 

Turned out nothing was even improbable for her, everything she had imagined was possible. She just didn't know it yet. 

"On a slightly saner note. There's some vampires hiding down by the museum. They've migrated south for the season. It would seem that they've realised how many old folks pass away down here in the winter." Luel said. "We thought we could tackle them tomorrow night."

"Tomorrow night's Christmas eve." Theresa said.

"It'll make a brilliant story for the kids." Judd laughed. "I think it'll be fun." 

"And it means she might shut up about her destiny for a while." Luel said pointing her thumb at Cherish. 

Cherish shrugged her shoulders and pouted. "She's right you know." 

"Fine. Could I bring Tommo?" She asked.

"Sure, we could train him up." Judd said.

Theresa lifted her eyebrows. "Judd, he's thirteen and he'd wipe the floor with you." 

The only person who had ever had a chance of taking Cherish on in a fight and having a fair game at winning was Tommo. She liked to spar with him every now and again, just to say fresh on her toes. He would make an excellent slayer one day. He found Judd to be quite an exhausting boy and had fancied Luel for quite a while. 

When Theresa finally got back into the house her family all sat around the TV watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It was a tradition during the Christmas period for them all to sit around and complain about the many errors of the show.

"Hey dad." Theresa said in her sweetest voice.

"What?" He said quickly, he was very much engrossed in the show. 

"Could I and Tommo go out tomorrow night? There's a small group of vampires that have moved into town and Cherish and her family think it might be a good idea to nip them before Christmas." She said.

Theresa's step mother paused the DVD. "Wonderful. You can bring your evidence to the guild for Christmas day!" She said.

Theresa rolled her eyes. It was just like her step mother to pull a stunt like this. 

"I didn't know they were in town again." Tommo said. 

"They only got in today. So how about it?" She asked her brother. 

He nodded. "Sure thing, I'll pack the stuff. He smiled. 

Theresa loved working with the Pendragons. It was so fulfilling compared to the usual vampire hunts because when she was with them it wasn't only about fighting vampires. It was about fighting for the greater good. The rest of Theresa's guild thought so little of them, the 'heroes.' Apparently killing vampires was the only thing worth doing. Even though Theresa knew this was rubbish it didn't stop the guild frowning on the eldest child of the Van Helsing clan fraternizing with King Arthur’s kin. 

Tommo came into Theresa's room with his bag packed. It was nearly midnight and the rain was heavy outside. 

"Ready?" He asked grinning. 

"As I'll ever be." She said, retrieving her silver tipped stake.

"Great." 

Tommo was quite an eager killer, but that was simply his age. All of the boys at his school were mad on combat games and liked to pretend that they could take on a thug if they saw one. Tommo indulged them but knew it was all lies, he took a small amount of satisfaction in knowing they he could do all of those things but felt no need to brag about it. 

As they arrived at the pier the weather had gotten a hell of a lot worse. The wind blew the salty sea into their eyes and it was terribly cold. Theresa could see Luel and Judd standing on the pier looking down at Cherish who was preforming some sort of acrobatics down below. For a girl of her build to be doing things that were hardly possible for someone half her size was incredible and frightening. 

"What if she falls in the water?" Tommo asked.

"I suppose the lady of the lake will save her." Theresa laughed, pulling her jacket in tighter to her body.

"I doubt she's going to swim all the way here from Fabien." He said. 

Theresa looked at her brother and screwed up her face. "What makes you think she's in Fabien?" She asked.

"I don't know. I guess it's because Fabien’s the home of magic." He said. "I mean dad always talks about this magical world and never says its name and there's only one book in the house about anything but the Van Helsing clan." He said.

"That's just a book my mother left me." Theresa said.

"Your mother the witch. Sometimes I think you forget that you're only half human." He said loudly over the crash of the waves.

She shrugged. "They probably have fairy stories in mum’s world, just because she left me the Chronicles of Fabien." 

"The one book that dad forbid you to read and the one book you stole back from him." Tommo said raising his eye.

"Let's talk about this later." She said, walking towards the beam of the pier that Cherish was preforming her acrobatics on. They both jumped up the wet slippery beam and began to climb up to Cherish and eventually past her to Luel and Judd.

"You guys love showing off." Judd huffed.

Theresa winked. "If you’ve got it flaunt it." She flipped her hair and began to prance around like a cat walk model.

"She definitely has it." Judd remarked to his cousin, biting his lip. 

Tommo looked at him darkly as though to say 'hands off that's my sister.' 

Luel giggled, he was so cute for someone so young. 

"So where are the blood suckers?" Theresa asked. 

"They normally meet here at about midnight." Cherish said. "That's what my intelligence tells me at any rate."  

Theresa dare not ask where her intelligence came from, if she did they might miss the vampires. 

Sure enough the pale faces emerged from all around them, wearing all black garments and laughing loudly. They looked at the group and all licked their blood-stained lips. Tommo took out his stakes and threw them to Cherish, Luel and Judd.

"Ready?" He asked.

They all replied. "Ready."