Humanatural; Van Helsing

• Dedicated to Kim Gyngell

It was a windy day, then again it always seemed to be a windy day by the coast. There was nothing much happening. Nothing much ever happened in the town Theresa lived in, well apart from the occasional vampire attack but she'd managed to get used to it. And as much as Theresa enjoyed these rare days of peace and grace she yearned for an adventure and not the kind she was used to. The girl, only fourteen years old wanted open fields and dark forests, she wanted a life unimaginable to the one she led now. 

No girl wants to be a part of a family legacy. What use is that, really? Sure, if she was a part of the bigger picture that would be okay but she refused to be a slave to the family name. She wanted to break the chain so her children and her children’s children would want to be a part of her legacy and live their lives the way they'd always dreamed about. 

Her father had always told her that she should be honoured to be a part of the family and that she should strive to be the best yet. How could she tell him that she felt it was all such a big lie? There was no recognition for what she had done, only recognition from the guild and they were so far up her father’s backside that this recognition had now become void. It was simple. She could carry on the legacy so long as she created her own. 

Before the story continues any further it may be worth mentioning Theresa's name. After all names are quite important in any day and age. Theresa's full name was Theresa Amelia Van Helsing. Now for those of you with the misconception that a name is simply a name it simply is not just a name. Since the dawn of time your name was your birth right and Theresa's birth right was that of a slayer. She wasn't just any old slayer though, she was from the most celebrated slayer family history had ever known. She was a Van Helsing as were the rest of her family, her fearless family. 

Many years before Theresa's father had been on a hunting trip that landed him in the strangest of places. This place was called Fabien, a magical world for the supernatural beings of the universe to reside and there he met the beautiful Bonatia. Bonatia, at the time, was a student of the chemical arts or potions as the humans liked to call it. She was young and beautiful with milky white skin and blood red hair. She was fascinated as to how Matt, Theresa's father, could ever step foot in her sacred home of Fabien. After months of trying to work it out, trying to hide Matt away from the authorities she fell pregnant with baby Theresa. Of course the couple were overjoyed but this didn't last long. 

When Theresa finally graced the beautiful lands of Fabien it was found that she was too human to remain in that world. But it didn't make sense. There were many half-bloods of all variations in Fabien, why oh why could Theresa not stay. It was unheard of, human blood could not overpower that of any other supernatural creature. As much as they fought for baby to stay with its doting mother they could not do anything, so Theresa and Matt were sent back to the blustery coasts of Dorset. 

For a while Bonatia would cross the boundaries, like many were permitted to, and see her lover and her beautiful little girl but Fabien was slowly falling into disrepair. The more she travelled the more she would find herself and her family at risk and eventually these journeys halted, leaving the beautiful Bonatia and the courageous Matt to go their separate ways.

It didn't take Matt long to find another beautiful wife. She too was young and a student, but not the academic kind. She was a trainee slayer and a promising one at that. The only breaks the woman ever allowed herself were during the hours of child birth. By the time Theresa was four she had four new brothers, the middle brothers being twins. As they were enrolled in normal schools, sitting normal exams they were too training as the next generation of slayers. To the rest of the slayers guild they were known as 'Young Clan Van Helsing, the terrible five.' Of this Theresa's family were proud.  

But Theresa never really stopped wondering what her life may have been like with her mother. How different her view on things would be. In the place her mother came from supernatural beings all lived in harmony. If she knew a little about the vampires from Fabien she may be able to make her own choice about who she was to kill but living on earth meant that no matter the age or the nature of the vampire they were dead and this was quite unfortunate for her. She yearned to know more. But for now she could live without guilt when she killed. That's what slayers had to do weather she liked it or not and sometimes she did like it. It was the rare sense of adrenaline she received when on the hunt that sustained her.