Chapter 24

~ TRISTAN ~

...earlier that night...

Around half an hour after Brad left the hospital, there was another knock on the door. Tristan stood up and opened it, and he wasn't expecting his guest at all.

"James! What brings you here?" If he had to be 100% honest with himself, he's very happy to see James for some reason he doesn't know.

"I know you didn't go to school today so I took down some notes for you. Plus, you missed a quiz and you're going to take it tomorrow." James said as he brought out his Chemistry notes.

"I wasn't expecting this at all. Thank you." Tristan told him with a smile as he grabbed the notebook from him. He opened it to the latest entries and squinted at them.

"I don't really get any of these." Tristan told him with a chuckle.

"Do you want me to stay and teach you the topic?" James told him, and he just opened his eyes really wide.

"If you want to. I don't really want to be a bother."

"It's alright. I've got nothing that important to do, anyway." James told him, then he opened the door wider for James to come in.

"Hey James!" Millie, who was reading a book with her earphones on, said a little too enthusiastically.

"What's up, Millie?" James told her, then she shrugged her shoulders.

"Just fine, I guess. I'm coming home tonight when our brother comes and picks us up."

"That's great!"

"What brings you here?" She asked him, then it occurred to Tristan that she doesn't know about James being his study buddy.

"He's helping me catch up on school, is that okay?" Tristan asked his little sister, who nodded in reply. She continued reading her book and made her music a little louder so she won't be able to hear what they were saying.

They sat at the foot of her bed as James began explaining the mechanisms of the different reactions of aromatic compounds. Tristan seemed to get it, although for some reason, he couldn't take his eyes off of James. He didn't exactly know why, but he was positive that it wasn't because he was attracted to James - Brad had his whole heart.

When they were done, it was around 7 at night, which meant that James had to leave because it was beyond visiting hours. He waved Tristan and Millie goodbye, then he left the room.

"What?" Tristan asked Millie when he saw her looking at him with a knowing face.

"You like him, don't you?" Millie told him, then he shook his head as an initial reply.

"Don't be silly, Millie. I'm perfectly happy with my boyfriend." Tristan defended.

"I have nothing against Brad." She said as she noticed how defensive he was being. "But for the record, James is a nice guy."

"Yeah, but I'm not sure if he likes guys like me."

"So you like him?" Millie gave him a knowing smirk, then he realised that he fell for her trap.