"What did you expect?"

Wes' P.O.V

"I think it's time we talked" She says turning to look at me and for the first time in years. I really get to look at her face and see how she's gotten older. Her eyes are still the same though. I look into them like I had done so many times before speaking.

"I know"

She leans back before giving a deep sigh. "Wes," She begins and I look down at my hands. "Look at me, please" She asks and she brings her hand to my face to tilt it up but as soon as her hand touches my face she flinches back and forgets the gesture.

"What do you expect Ella?," I ask and I try not to let my voice raise. "That after all this time we are just going to be friends again? That after all this time I'll just forget it and it will be fine?"

"No, Wes! I don't think that!" She argues.

I fail to not shout when I jump up from where I'm sitting and my voice raises incredibly. "What then Ella?! What is it I'm supposed to do? I've spent years trying to forget about you! I fucking loved you and you left and you never spoke to me again! What the fuck was I supposed to do?!" I yell at her.

She gets up too, to try and put in a good argument. "I'm sorry ok! Fucking hell Wes! I'm so sorry for everything I did to you! I'm sorry you fell in love with me! I'm sorry I loved you back! I was sorry every fucking day I was gone! You think I didn't know what it felt like? You think I didn't want to come home? You think I didn't want to give in to you and call you?!"

"But you didn't! Not once!" I say throwing my hands up in the air.

"Because that's what you would've wanted right? For me to come home? You never would've said it but you wanted it! I made a choice, Wes. I made a choice and I wasn't going to give into you because I would have never forgiven myself if something bad would've happened between us and everything I could've had was thrown away."

"Nothing bad would've ever happened, Ella!" She's putting up a good fight but she's not winning. She broke me too hard and she's not winning this again.

"You don't know that Wes! You don't think I saw all those paparazzi pictures of you kissing random girls?! One after another?! What would it have been like if we had dated through all of that? Would you have been able to resist?!"

"Of course I would have!" I defend. "Carly and I have been dating for a year and nothing has happened!"

She raises her eyebrow and smirks. She knows she's won. Carly.

She sits herself back down on the bench and I follow her actions.

"Look where we are, Wes," She says motioning her arm around. "We're on the roof of the building of one of the biggest magazine company's in the world. Do you think we both would be here right now if I had of stayed, what is it, five years now? Five years ago?"

I don't answer and stay silent.

"The truth is that well, I never would've gotten the education I wanted, you would have beaten yourself up about me staying and that would've caused a lot of fights," She stops but takes a breath and I know she's not done. "I never would've gotten the qualification I needed to get a job like this. Somewhere along the way I probably would've gotten pregnant and it would've been horrific for your career and," She pauses again. "Lets face it, Wes, this all happened for the best."

I know she's right. Everything she said was right. "Wes.." She begins quietly and I turn and look at her. "We were teenagers. What did we know? I've moved out of home and I now live in an apartment with my boyfriend who I know I love more than anything. We always had this on again off again thing going on and to be completely honest, that hurt my heart. I've never been hurt with Logan, not once" She says and she looks me dead in the eye so she can tell me she's not lying.

"I just wish things would've worked out differently" I say.

"Me too," She says. "But it didn't and I'm sorry Wes, I'm so sorry but I can't take it back and even if I could I wouldn't" She apologises.

I feel an urge to lean in to kiss her but as soon as she notices what I'm doing she pulls back and moved further away from me. What the hell am I doing?

I stand up again and make my way over to the raised edge of the roof and lean my elbows on it and look down at all the cars and chaos below.

"Do you ever miss it?" I ask her. She comes and stands next to me and looks over the edge too. "Do you ever miss home?"

"This is my home, Wes"

"Your real home" I say.

She sighs. "All the time"

"Your mum misses you" I say truthfully. I see her mum at least once a month and I still hang out with Jordan who still hasn't moved out of home.

"I miss her too" She says.

"Bernie died last year" I say slowly

"I know" She says slowly and I can tell she's fighting back tears.

We stand in silence for a while, just taking in all the sounds from the city and I can't help but miss the sound of the ocean waves back home. I want her to know where her real home is. She doesn't belong in this foreign city. It's not her. But then again I hardly know her now. The girl standing next to me is completely different to the girl I dated all those years ago.

"I know you wrote that song for me" She says breaking the silence.

"I thought you'd like it"

"I did," She says. "I mean I still do"

She looks back down over the edge and I can't help but want to know what she's thinking.

"I went to Princeton once" I say and she turns to face me.

"What?"

"Yeah, it was about 6 months after you moved and I was still hurting and like I thought I could convince you to come home and like be with me so I flew out there and I even went all the way to your room, I was about to knock but then it struck me that maybe you didn't want to be with me so that's why you never called,"

"I didn't want to feel like I was being held back that's why I never called" She cuts in.

"So," I carry on with my story. "I left and went straight back home and that was it"

What Ella does next is so unexpected. She pulls me closer and kisses my cheek and then wraps her arms around me for a hug.

"Thank you" She whispers in my ear. I'm confused as to why she is thanking me but I never get to ask because the roof door flies open and Logan, Drew, Keaton and Carly all pile through.

"Logan!" Ella exclaims and she runs into his arms and he catches her and brings her closer to him. Drew, Keaton and Carly all come over to me to check how I am.

"Are you ok now?" Drew asks.

"Yeah I think I am" I partly lie because I'm not ok with something I should've done but didn't.

"Good man because we'd really like to get this interview done" Keaton laughs and I surprisingly laugh too.

Carly links her hand in with mine and kisses my cheek but it doesn't feel the same as when Ella did it. We all begin to walk back through the door with Ella and Logan in front of us all and I watch as he puts his arm around her shoulder and she giggles. And when she does I instantly regret not kissing her on that bench.

--

A/N: sorry it's short but yeah!! Sorry I won't be uploading for at least ten days but I might write while I'm away!! Thank you so much for the votes in the last chapter you guys rock! Have a great New Years!! And I'll update when I get back but have a good time over this holiday!!!

(P.S: please don't write in the comments 'PLEASE UPDATE' because sorry that's hella annoying like I know I have to update but writing is hard and takes time so yeah)

I do love you guys!!!!

xxx

~Kiri