Breathless Plead

Leuedai dragged herself from her state of disbelief and horror. She was now surrounded by comfort and a faith stronger than ever. Getting up slowly, she managed to reach the outside world. To the average passer-by, she resembled a woman whom would get stoned for witchcraft. Her hair was tangled and drooped lifelessly over her face. Her eyes were wild and her cheeks were stained scarlet. Tears clung for dear life as they hung onto the tips of her eyelashes, awaiting their fatal journey down her cheek. Her dress was dishevelled and her hands were in a state of prayer. After a multitude of deep breaths, she stepped onto the hostile, rocky ground of the outside world and began to make her way to the city centre. The people stayed well away from her. It was as though she had a forcefield around her, one which repelled any other living soul. She was isolated in the crowd. As she walked past homes and markets, cold stares were thrown her way. Although this, she could not see. She could not get rid of the visions which were forced upon her. Everywhere she turned, she saw death. Fire. Blood. She knew very well what she must do. Protect herself and warn the rest. For a war was coming. 

Upon reaching the city centre, Leuedai observed her surroundings. Her emotions shattered when she saw young children skipping without a care in the world. With a forced strength, she climbed the yards pillar. Her hands gripped the rough stone tightly, almost drawing blood. 

"People!" She exclaimed to all wondering souls. Her voice was coarse. "You must hear me!" Few interested farmers stopped their business and stood in curiosity. "A war is coming!.. A war is coming to devour every last one of you!" Upon hearing this, the kings guards sharply turned and began making their way to her, their hands resting on the hilt of their swords. "Repent! Repent! we must stop this war, before the war stops us! Fear the future, for the Lord has spoken!" A crowd of judgement began to gather. Faces of narcissism and delusional superiority protruded. Anger toward the ignorance washed over her. She was afraid- more than she had ever been throughout her nineteen years of life. "You will perish if you do not listen to me! If you do not listen to the Lord! Soldiers, put down your weapons! You grace!" With this, she turned her head to face the castle in the near distance. Reaching out her arm toward it, she desperately longed for the King to hear. "Hear me, your grace! Order your soldiers to forget their weapons... Hate will prevail. Children will die!"

The guards, who had satisfied their humorous sides as their wine and women-stained mouths laughed at her, began to reach up to pull her down. "Do not ignore!" She yelled, tears of anger and fear in her eyes. "Do not hate... Do not sin purposefully..." A single tear ran down her cheek. "Please, hear me... I was sent to warn you! The Lord instructed me to warn all of you, and yet you sit here and laugh! Your children will die because you refused to listen to the Lord!" Her breath suddenly quickened with rage. "You will tell you children, as they're lying, covered in blood, their flesh burnt to the bone, arrows deep in their backs... You will tell them that they are dying because you were ignorant! You will tell your children they are dying because of you!" One guard managed to grab hold of her dangling foot. Pulling down with all might, Leuedai fell to the ground in a heap of dust. "A war is coming..." She whispered. "A war is coming."  

One of the guards laughed hysterically. "What's that?" He said, glancing over to the other, searching for encouragement for his concealed insecurity. "A war?" He said, smiling with his alcohol-beaten teeth. "A war of whores, you mean?" Both the guards laughed loudly as the small crowd quickly dissipated. "Where are the others? One won't do for a few hundred guards, you know?...Get up," The other said, pulling her up by her hair. "If I see you here again, I'll have you stuffed like a pig." The monstrous, animalistic guard spat at her with a grin. Leuedai closed her eyes and prayed for forgiveness.

"Forgive me Lord... For these actions." With that, she lunged forward and threw the guard to the ground. Sitting on his oversized stomach, she attacked his face repetitively. Her fists, anger in flesh, beat his face to near deformity, preaching between punches. "Hear... The... Lord!" The guards eyes began to swell. His body, in shock, for a peasant woman found the courage to rebel against him. Blood began leaking from his bruised face. His teeth appearing blacker than his personality. As if awoken from a spell, the other guard ripped Leuedai off the helpless animal and threw her to the ground. He drew his unsullied sword and pressed the end firmly into her arm. "You little bitch." His voice rumbled with desperate authority. With each heavy breath he took, his sword drove deeper into her skin, finally drawing blood. "You'll be the one to die... That's what whores deserve." Leuedai refused to scream in pain. Instead, she remained silent, staring him deeply in his cold, sinister eyes.

Suddenly, as though sent from God himself, a voice called out from the near distance. The guard quickly turned and his face was drained of its blood. Luedai was still on her back, watching her new-found enemy turn into a fearful minority. He suddenly dropped to one knee and bowed his head low, not daring to move. Luedai turned to be faced with a great congregation of guards surrounding a royal carriage. Before them stood a woman. Given the distance, she could not be named by appearance. Although it was obvious she was royalty.  The woman walked forward until she was steps away from this bloody, dirty woman. Leuedai stared in awe for it was the first time she had laid eyes on the Queen- known due to her gold crown of twisted leaves. Queen Ivory was spoken of by all, but few ever saw her. Without a word, the queen lifted her hand and the kneeling guard gently helped Leuedai to her feet and escorted her into the carriage.