Divine Whisper

The sun shone high above the city, blessing all with its warmth. Leuedai was in bed, respecting rules of the Sabbath. The warm spring breeze danced a slow waltz with the curtain, before making its way to softly caress her cheek. Leuedai laid with her eyes closed while a smile sat on her face as she listened to the towns children laughing with not a care in the world. Children always had a special place in her heart. She would throw her house into a fire to save an innocent child from deaths cold grip. She laid quietly, listening to the eagles high above, flapping their wings gracefully, moving peacefully with the warm breeze. She listened to the church bells toll in the far distance, the work-beaten horses galloping tiresomely to a dreaded destination, the crackling of her small fireplace. She breathed in and smelt the warm scent of fresh bread as it creeped through her window.

Suddenly, much akin to the Biblical story of Pentacost, a great wind filled the room. Leuedai opened her eyes to find that the room was covered in a warm yellow light. The curtains were ripped from their rods, the windows violently slammed shut, shattering the glass within. Strangely though, all was silent. Noises of the outside world were inexistent. She sat up quickly and stared in a paralysed fear at the flames as they stood still, unaffected by the wind. It's crackling was inaudible. To Leuedai's horror, a voice, as though coming from all reaches of the room, began to speak. It was rich. It was smooth. It was like liquid gold. 

"Leuedai..." As this word was spoken, the flames of the fireplace danced to every syllable, then stopped when the voice did. Shear horror consumed her.

"Venturum bellum finire vitam." Leuedai fell nauseous when she realised the tongue in which it was spoken. Latin. God's language.  "Omnes neci traderent, pretium solvere." Each word was music for the flames to begin dancing once more.  "Protegere te moneam et cetera. Qui salvarent eos de omnibus requiem. Urbes ardebit. Filii morientur. Si nescies et salvator non prope."  

Her deep and devout study of books and Scriptures gave her advantageous knowledge of the meaning of these words. Translated, they spoke: "A war will come to end all life. To kill them all, to pay their price. Protect yourself and warn the rest. To save them all from eternal rest. Cities will burn. Children will die. If you do not keep your saviour nigh."

With this, Leuedai also received visions. Crumbling cities. Soldiers of all kingdoms being slaughtered. Children orphaned. Tortured. Killed. Fire wrapping its long, sinister fingers around every home. Around every family. Then suddenly, Leuedai gasped for air as though no breath was taken for minutes prior. The wind abruptly stopped and the silence itself fell silent, making way for the outside world to fill her ears once more. The room was back to normal, apart from the curtains which laid on the other side of the room, far from the window. The fire was also out. Leuedai found her hands shaking uncontrollably and sweat running down her forehead. Her heart, beating faster than that of a hummingbird. Overwhelmed and distressed, she fell off the bed, painfully hitting the floor. She laid on her stomach, trying to regulate her breath as tears began to form in her dilated eyes.  She drew all her lasting energy and sanity to whisper two simple words. "My... Lord."