Chapter 17: Double Date Gone Wrong

I was pacing back and forth in my bedroom, my nerves getting the best of me. I took another look at myself on my full-sized body mirror. Self consciously tugging the hem of my black above knee dress, I examined the area wear it was strapless. I felt like this dress was going to slip off of me but thankfully it came with a white belt around my mid drift. The white high stiletto heels I had on made me 3 inches taller. My diamond cluster necklace my father had gotten me on my 16th birthday shone brightly. I had other diamonds wrapped around my wrists and clear-white diamonds as earrings. My usual cascading brown hair was tied up in a bun with a band that contained white crystals as its design to hold the big ball of hair in place. My makeup was light with a midnight kind of look. Red lipstick being my norm.

To sum it up, I looked too good for my liking. I would wear a dress much longer than this but my wardrobe is full of dresses that are knee length and even shorter. Blame my mother.

I took a deep breath and picked up my white branded clutch that my mother got me. I would've picked something more hipster, to be honest. But if you get adopted to a super rich family, you'll have to put up with the fancy stuff eventually.

I felt breezy as I walked out of the mansion. It was 7 and the dinner would be at 8 in Hal's company restaurant. This wasn't going to be good. I can just feel it. The sky was a midnight blue color, a little hue of variations of light colors such as orange and yellow in the distance. No clouds were in sight, just a clear sky. Distant noises of honking in the city were heard from all the way here. It would take about 15 minutes to get into the city... if there's no traffic.

A black limo stopped in front of me and I watched as the chauffeur opened the rear door. Hal came out with a dark grey suit and a matching black tie, blouse, and dress shoes that were branded. His hair was swept to one side and his stubble was just perfect. As our eyes met, his blue orbs shone brightly and a smile crept on his lips. One word to describe him right now: Stunning.

"Hey there beautiful." he said while placing a quick kiss on my lips. I gasped as he made that move and took a step back with my brows knitted together. Hal chuckled and handed his brown suit case to a plump looking maid dressed in black and white. She took it and scurried back into the mansion, her foot steps light and quiet like a mouse. "Sorry if I'm late. I was having complications with a certain business partner to accept my request for a renovation. Anyways, let's not waste time. My mother and..." he trailed off and bit the bottom of his lip, "Um, my mother will be waiting. Come now." I raised a brow and suddenly became suspicious. Was there someone else joining us?

Slipping into the tan leather seats of the limo, I crossed my leg over the other and looked out the window as the vehicle made its way towards the city. It was silent. The only audible sounds were the roaring of the limo's engine and Hal's soft breathing next to me. Soft classical music played in the background but I barely paid attention to it as I noticed Hal glaring at the small bright screen in front of him. He looked mad, no, mad couldn't even describe the murderous expression he had. If looks could kill, his poor phone would've exploded and shattered into little pieces by now. I opened my mouth to ask him what was wrong but decided against it. It was best to mind my own business. He was probably just mad about something involving his work.

As the limo came to a halt, I looked at the digital clock placed on a small island near me and saw that we had made it to the restaurant in time. Hal gracefully got out of the limo, something that is deemed impossible for me to do since I'm a total clutz. He waited for me with a hand extended and I took it, his large had dwarfing my tiny one as he assisted me out of the limo. As we linked our arms together, I noticed the absence of pedestrians. Unlike Sinclair Hotels in Miami, this one was quiet and deserted. My eyes then wandered on the sleek exterior of the restaurant. It obviously was 5-star. The black tinted windows hid the interior of the restaurant, giving it a mysterious feel. It had 4 levels and a patio at the top, a VIP section. A golden rug, much like the red carpet in Miami lead to the enchanting interior of the restaurant. Two huge bodyguards stood on both sides of the pale white double doors. They were about Hal's height wearing tight black shirts with yellow letter imprinted security. They wore black shades, kind of like the ones those guys wear in Matrix.

Hal nodded at the bulky men and the two nodded in unison, each opening one side of the double doors. He lead me inside and I had to squint as a fury of light hit me unexpectedly. It took me seconds to adjust and my eyes nearly bulged out of their sockets as I carefully observed the inside of the restaurant. The interior was bright with golden chandeliers hanging on the cashmere colored ceiling. The cream colored walls were bordered with a dark wooden color. Floral designs on the burgundy carpet made my jaw drop in awe. There were empty tables dotting the room but one table was occupied with two women. It was in the middle, a chandelier swaying slowly just above it, giving that one table more luminescent glow.

As we approached the table, I felt my legs numb at the sight of my evil nemesis. Antoinette looked at me from her conversation with a auburn haired woman beside her and gave me a venomous smile, eyes dancing with an unknown meaning in them. Why was she here? I swallowed the huge lump in my throat and smiled back, failing miserably as blondie's smile grew wider like the Cheshire Cat.

The auburn haired woman looked up at me with a blank expression. Her blue eyes gave it away that she was none other than Hal's mother. She was beautiful with toned skin, a few wrinkles around her eyes. She wore an emerald knee length dress with a v cut through the collar and stopped just before her chest. Gold and diamond jewelry showed off her wealth. Her beady eyes narrowed at me, scrutinizing as I stood frozen in place.

"It's good to see you mother." Hal said, his mother shifting her attention to him. My body relaxed as her attention went to her son, eyes lighting up and a joyful expression masking the blank look she gave me.

"Ah, my son. How have you been?" her voice was soft with a sense of authority in it. She stood up from her seat and pushed me away lightly. Hal being in denial of the push, he embraced his mother with a childish smile on his features. From the corner of my eye, I could see Antoinette smirking in delight.

Hal rubbed his mother's back before pulling away, "I have been good. How is father? I haven't talked to him or heard for him in a while."

"He is fine. You know him, always focusing on work first." she replied with a wave of her hand. Ignoring my prescence, she grabbed hold of Hal's hand and dragged him to an empty seat next to Antoinette. He sat down and the blond beamed at him with a disgusting seductive smile that made me want to barf. His mother sat back down, giving me a once over before conversing with Hal and Antoinette. I immediately felt like a third--no, a fourth wheel.

I sat down on the seat next to Hal, keeping my distance since I obviously got the expression that his mother despises me. She would give me a look every time I would try to get closer to Hal so I just gave up and ended up twiddling my thumbs. Their conversation was heated about management, which I was so tempted to say something but I knew that I would just be bothersome.

The food was brought in after a while and my appetite was lost. I was already feeling left out and just a mere ghost watching things play out. Hal hasn't said a word to me or even spare a glance. His mother and Antoinette just conversed with him, forgetting me. I felt myself get trapped in my thoughts I hadn't noticed that the servants took my untouched food. I watched as the table dispersed of dining utensils and plates with half-eaten food. Their conversation continued and I stood up, heading towards the restrooms without looking back. I can hear them talking still even though I had entered the hall and sighed.

"Great, best dinner ever." I mumbled to myself as I entered the luxurious restroom. I stared at myself on the faucet mirror with a frown. When I was a teenager, I was used to all the ignorance and being invisible. But ever since I became social... it just all changed. My chest felt heavy and I just wanted to crawl up in a ball on a corner and cry. Being in the same room with Antoinette was overwhelming and it took all my self restraint from breaking the chick's nose right then and there. I wish Hal would do something. He acted as if what happened on the news never occurred and it just added a heavier weight in my chest. Maybe the feelings I had for Hal were just infatuation? Yes, that has to be it.

The door to the restroom suddenly opened and my body numbed as Antoinette waltzed in. Her blond hair bounced as she stood beside me, checking her makeup on the mirror. Her hazel eyes then looked at me through the mirror and a malicious smirk formed on her plump lips. "Ah, I didn't notice you were here. I guess it's because you are so quiet. I nearly forgot you were having dinner with us." she laughed and I closed my eyes, putting up with the most annoying sound in the world.

"Good to see you too Antoinette." I said bitterly, placing a fake bittersweet smile on my face. Her face contorted in disgust. She looked ugly as heck.

"Don't say my name. It sounds disgusting when a commoner like you says it. Leave your voice for the adopted kids. They probably need the inspiration since their parents left them to shit in their own pants." she laughed more and I felt my body shake in anger. I felt my cheeks burn and I gritted my teeth as my fingers balled into fists. She's just done it.

Suddenly, I had Antoinette's collar in my hands. Her face was in shock, eyes wide, and mouth wide open. "How dare you mention those innocent kids? Why would you say such cruel things about them?! Just look at yourself you whore. You've ruined everyones lives. You're a damn cock blocker at every wedding just because your spouse cheated on your ass. Get. A. Fucking. Life." I spat, shoving her against the wall. Her back lightly slammed against it but she acted as if she got thrown into it, which I should have done.

I charged out of the restroom afterwards, feeling like I've overstayed. Hal stood up from his seat as he saw me. I shot him a glare and ran out of the restaurant. Once again, I hailed for a cab and fled the place. I took a deep breath and ignored the annoying rings on my phone. Now he notices me I thought with a scowl. This was so redundant. This happens everytime that bitch is around. Gosh, I seriously wish that Antoinette married Hal instead. They obviously have more chemistry the way they talked to each other. Why are you getting angry? You were forced to marry the guy and you have no feelings for him... or do you? my inner conscious asked. I sneered at her and she snickered, making my temper rise. Yes, I was infatuated by him because he was practically a greek god and his words always got to me. But what does Hal think of this marriage? We haven't even discussed a date for the wedding. Once we get bonded, I'll be known as Alana Brougham, conniving whore and gold digger. This was all Hal's fault. If I wasn't involved with him, I wouldn't feel so played and heart broken...

Wait, did you just say heart broken?

I shook my head and told my inner conscious to shut up. I'm confused with myself. I don't understand the feelings I have for Hal. Why does it have to be him I'm falling helplessly for? Why can't it be Ron? He's always there for me and I've always told him about my problems. Then there's Hal, hard headed who doesn't listen to me but is good at cheering someone up with cheesy lines. Oh dear lord, I think I'm going insane if I'm falling in love with Hal Brougham.

The driver cleared his throat, causing me to look up at him with a glare. He pointed at my mansion gate with a nervous look and I handed him a $100 dollar bill. "Keep the change." I said while slipping out of the cab. The white gate opened slowly and I speed walked to the interior of the mansion. The lights were dim and some maids and butlers were cleaning the place up. Entering my bedroom, I shut the door loudly and collapsed on the carpet floor. Removing the annoying heels, I groaned and threw them across the room. I took my phone out of my clutch and checked the bright screen. There were 20 calls from Hal and 100 text messages with "Pick up your phone!" and "Where are you?" on all of them.

Locking my door, I stripped out of the annoying dress and washed my face in the bathroom. Once I finished, I let my hair lose and slipped on a baggy jumper before plopping down on the bed. Turning my phone off and tossing it somehwere in my room, I immediately fell asleep with tears slowly pouring down my cheeks.

A/N*

Long a$$ chapter. I'm so out of it today ._. Next chapter will be Operation Take Blondie Down. Yes, the action, drama, and all those awesome elements will be on the next chapter. Thanks for reading and comment, vote, and share if you enjoyed! :D Follow me too!