Prologue

Prologue:

She stared into the eyes of the Unbeliever. What had ever overcome the poor soul was unknown to her. The eyes were dark and filled with a hate so deep it reached the very bottom pits of hell. She felt her own soul crawl into a ball inside her, just thinking about that darkness within.

The heart of the creature was broken and torn between light and dark, unknown to the world. She felt pure sympathy for the soul. Her life was cut out and simple, the light chosen. Not the dark mystery of a life that this soul occupied. She felt a tear escape her eye.

The creature watched the tear fall to the floor.

“What causes you to be so sorrowful?” It asked in its raspy razor sharp voice. She reached a finger out to touch the scarred face.

“The life you’ve chosen is so dark. So empty and cold. How can you stand tall at a time like this? So unsure about the dark you’re fighting for?” She asked, searching the hate filled eyes once more. They blinked. She sighed as the creature slid a sharp finger nailed hand around her waist and pulled her close.

In an unexpected leap, the creature took flight. The night sky enveloped them. A heavy fog closed in as the creature dove into the clouds. She gasped at the cold air, and closed her eyes tight. A trust in the creature filled her soul.

“Open your eyes.” It whispered in a rasp. She looked down at the raging ocean far below them. It was dark, the white capped waves smacked the towering cliffs in anger. In a sudden shiver of fear she clutched the creature with all her might, “I won’t drop you.” It assured her.

She looked up into the cold eyes once more. All that hate had suddenly disappeared. Replaced with a unique love she had heard of, but never truly seen. A weakness filled her heart. She let a small smile spread across her red lips.

“Now what has caused the sudden change of heart?” She spoke slow, letting her every word sink into the creatures mind. She felt the hesitation to answer tremble through its strong arms around her. It leaned its head closer to hers and whispered sharply into her ear.

“A destiny…one that I have not chosen, causes my sorrows. A desire to change is what fills my heart,” Still with its mouth close to her ear, it flew to the edge of the cliffs, “I see that ability to change in your eyes.” It said clearly, before turning and disappearing into the mist, leaving her standing alone on the cold cliff side. Another tear escaped her eye, and rolled down her cheek. It dropped quickly to the ground below.