Prologe

There are many more layers to me than I will admit. So many more than anyone sees. There's a darkness to me but I hide it behind my striking smile and gentle hands. There's a sadness to my heart, a small ache every time it beats. Each day I wake up and push myself to create the perfect image. One force propels me to be that image.

Him.

It's stronger than gravity. He made me the way I am. He's the reason I'm drowning in my own company while surrounded by my friends. He is my world and he doesn't know it.

The darkness has become my home. I bask in the unknown because it's better knowing nothing than knowing everything. To sink into the water is better than knowing what he thinks.

But what he thinks is the only thing that matters.

My breaths are a constant struggle when he's around. My raspy hiccups are a call for help that no one hears. I don't want anyone to rescue me.

Each time our eyes meet I feel myself sink a little further into the darkness. I fall a little further into the ever lasting abyss of wanting something I can't have. The worst part is I know full well I can't have him. Sometimes he is so close within my reach I feel that If I push a little more, I can finally have him. But I'm too weak. I'm too scared. He shatters me to pieces but he builds my whole character. He is a shell of empty promises that I keep trying to grasp. He is a herowin. And I am an addict.

I'm so deep in. I'm too stuck to ever get out. I spend so much time with him that I can't escape even if I try. I never want to escape.

The water is up to my neck. I feel it tingle the hairs of my nape. Every time I'm with him the water threatens to take me under. I'm in an ever lasting conflict in my mind. He turns my black and white world to color. He puts the shimmer in my eye. But he's the reason I'm drowning.

He's the reason the darkness is swallowing me. The reason fear twists through my veins. He gave me all my scars. He wounded all my limbs. He will be the reason I take my last breath. I can feel it.

But he is not mine.

I am just another girl. Just another girl he travels with. Not any different. He will say goodbye. He will leave me behind. The story is never any different. I beat my self for loving him. Like every word is a kick to the ribs. But I love the music of his voice.

There are times when the want and need are so overwhelming that I'm convinced it's the last time. That I will go under in that moment. Times like this, as I look into his hazel eyes. They hold so many memories. It pains me to know that most of them are not of me. I want all his memories to be of me, all the ones that matter.

His eyes are so full of light it's hard to see how he gave me so much darkness. How he inflicted so much pain. My agony goes beyond repair.

"Serena, are you alright?"

I'm drowning. I feel the beasts biting. I feel their fangs and their claws. I'm swimming in fear. I'm seeing red. I'm dying inside.

"I'm fine Ash."