Two

It’s been hours since I arrived at the hospital. All I’ve done is lie around in my bed. My pillow has little wet bits on it; most of it has dried up though. I still hadn't gotten my blood test results. I was started to get a little bit worried. Does it always take this long?

My dad, or as I preferred to call him – Kyle, had brought me some clothes from “home”. I was wearing a light blue pair of jeans, that Melissa - or well… I had loved, and a white Abercrombie and Fitch hoodie with a blue tank top underneath. I quite liked Melissa’s style, it was comfortable and not too revealing.

I wanted to get to know her, I wanted to know who I had been before the accident. It was really weird not remembering anything from me past, every time I saw someone walk past my door or through the window, I would worry that I was supposed to know them or somehow be able to recognize them.

There was a knock on the door.

“Come in” I said, anxious to see who it was.

The door opened slowly, creaking. There was a girl standing in the doorway. She had wavy blonde shoulder-length hair and big green eyes. Her nose was a little pointed. She was slim and had a curvy body.

“Hi.” I said awkwardly

“Hey.” She liked her lips nervously “You don’t know me do you?” She looked hurt as she said the words.

“I’m sorry, I don’t” I chuckled

“My names Nicole” she said “I’m your older sister.”

I looked at her once again. Nothing. This was starting to piss me off. Why can’t I remember my own sister? If she’s older than me I must have known her my entire life. It’s not possible.

“This is really weird isn’t it?” She laughed “don’t worry about it, you’ll get your memories back in a bit. It’s just the aftershock, but that’s not what I’m here to tell you about.” She said as she said down on my beds edge.

“There’s some boys here to see you. One of them is your boyfriend. You were in the car accident when you were coming back from their hotel after you two had an argument.

“What? I have a boyfriend?”

“Yes you do.”

“But…”

“No Liz, not now. Just hear me out here, he’s a total mess. He’s blaming himself for all this. You need to talk to him.”

“Okay fine, what’s he like?”

“He’s a singer. He’s in a band, really popular one, and he’s really sweet” Nicole said

“I’ll go get him” She said when I didn’t respond.

I had a boyfriend. He was a singer, a celebrity? That’s pretty cool. How did I manage that? We had a fight, about what? God, Melissa please think. Urgh. Fuck this.

Once again there was a knock on the door. It opened and there he was. He was taller and obviously older than me, I could tell. He had perfect brown hair and golden eyes. He ran up to me and pulled me into what would be my second rib-crushing hug that day.

“Liz, I’m so sorry. Are you okay?” He sobbed. I felt his warm breath in my neck. I could smell his aftershave, it was… nice.

I pushed him of me a little. I wanted to look at him again. Behind him were four other guys; a curly haired one who sort of reminded me of a younger version of Mick Jagger, a blonde one who I thought could either be American or Irish, a boy with brown wavy hair who looked French and another one with hair that perfectly shaped his face who I thought could be a surfer.

“Zayn, she doesn’t remember.” The Mick Jagger guy said from behind me.

Zayn. That’s an unusual name, I’ve never heard it before, or maybe I had but I just couldn’t remember. Is that him? He looked really hurt. His eyes, they looked like he’d just been tortured, as if he’d watched someone die right in front of him. He stood there and stared at me, breathing heavily.

“I’m sorry, I don’t.” I said awkwardly, I felt bad saying that. It broke his heart.

“We’ll be back in a while” The blonde one said in a strong Irish accent. The four boys left the room and shut the door behind them.

Silence. Zayn grabbed a chair and put it right next to my bed. More silence.

I bit my lip. Should I say something?

“I’m sorry, but I don’t remember you or anyone. So could you like… you know, tell me?”

“Yeah, I’ll tell you from the beginning.” He said, biting his lip and brushed his hand through his perfect hair. He let out a big sign as he began.

“The boys and I, we had a signing just before a concert. You and your best friend, Jackie, went there together. You were really shy at the time. You asked me to sign your tank top that had the name of our band on it, One Direction. I did, you were so happy." Zayn started to smile.

Wow, when he said beginning he really meant the beginning.

"I stood up and gave you a hug. I felt like I already knew you even though we only just met. I asked for your twitter and you wrote it down on the back of one of my tissues. Afterwards we had the concert and I saw you standing there in the 4th row. When we got back to our hotel I added you on twitter, saying I’d seen you in the crowd. We began messaging each other. We talked about all sorts of stuff.”

This looked really hard on him, like he was confessing to a crime or something

“I then saw you a few days later at McDonalds, just down the street from where I live. I gave you my phone number, and you became best friends with the guys. We started hanging out. I met your best friends and three weeks later I asked you out at Nandos as we waited for our food. It didn’t take me long to ask you out, not long at all.” He smiled as he said the last few words.

It was such a cute story, but it meant nothing to me.

Zayn looked down at the floor. He was crying. I didn’t know what to do. I watched as he cupped his face with his hands and started to shake. I got of my bed and wrapped my arms around his head. His arms went around my back and hugged me tightly.

After a while he let me go and I sat back down. He wiped his face with his sleeve and looked me in the eyes.

“What was the fight about?” I asked

“I’m not sure.” He said calmly

“What do you mean?” I frowned

“You came over to my apartment. You were really upset about something, but I never found out. You left after about half an hour, in your car. When I called you an hour later I got your sister and she told me you’d been in a car accident.”

The door opened and I saw Katelyn, the nurse come in.

“Melissa I need to speak with you in private” she said, she looked scared.

Zayn stood up, he kissed my head before he left the room. It made my stomach feel warm and fuzzy. I watched Katelyn sit down on the same chair as Zayn had. She was holding a file and some paper sheets.

“What’s wrong with me?” I asked her

“There’s nothing wrong. Well that depends on how you look at it.” She said