One

The one thing I remember is an enormous bang, although it didn’t cause me any pain. It was more of a noise – I can’t quite explain it. And then I flew, I actually flew, just like a bird. It was incredible. I remember thinking how lovely it was, and hoping I would be able to do it forever.

Then the lights started, red turning into purple, changing to a sky blue. It was beautiful. I saw colors I had never seen before, and colors I didn’t even know existed. When I opened my eyes and saw the bright beautiful moon looking right at me.

There was a ring of faces staring at me. I gazed up at them. I couldn’t talk. It was like I was there, but then again not really It was like I was a ghost, like I was watching a television or a play, in the audience. Maybe I was just dreaming. Perhaps I had died and this was the afterlife.

I could feel the asphalt beneath me, it was hard and really cold. It made my skin itch. I could feel something digging into my scalp. I tried to bring my hand towards it, but a dozen of hands stopped me.

“No no darling, don’t move. The ambulance will be here shortly.” A lady said.

What? Ambulance? Why there wasn’t anything wrong with me. I couldn’t remember what had happened. How did I get here?  I wanted to get away. I tried to sit up. Not a good idea. Everything went fuzzy, and my head started to spin.

The lady clutched my arm, pushing me down a little.

“Don’t move you’ve been hurt. Just lie down.”

I wasn’t dreaming, I wasn’t dead, this was real. I was hurt, that was all I knew. I laid back down onto the hard asphalt. I could hear sirens getting louder in the distance, coming closer and closer. I turned my head to see a couple standing next to a car. I had to concentrate to make out their words.

“I didn’t see her, she-she came out of nowhere. There was nothing I could have done I swear.” the man stuttered.

The lady beside him was holding a light pink, designer clutch in her right hand and wiped away her tears with a tissue using her left. The man looked utterly horrified. He looked at me and put his arm around the lady.

I turned my head to my right an saw a black or blue BMW lying on its side, completely trashed. The windows were smashed and half of a door was lying on the opposite side of the road. The road itself was covered in glass and scraped off bits of paint and other materials.

My view was blocked and I looked up to see a woman in her mid thirties crouching down beside me. She had a black bob and green eyes. She was a bit chubby, but looked super sweet. She was wearing a green jumpsuit.

“Hello there, I’m Jane. What’s your name?” She asked sweetly

I opened my mouth to answer, but then closed it again. Nothing. The part in my mind where my name should be was empty.

“Uhm, I’m not quite sure” I said biting my lip nervously.

Jane frowned. “Don’t worry about it. Here we go, grab the other side guys.”