Chapter 8 The Homecoming

A/N: Well, here we are, folks. The end of the line. I hope this brings satisfactory closure. This story has moved up to #4 on the Non-Teen story list! Thank you, thank you, thank you! If you liked this, drop me a comment. I love to hear from everyone, and I answer everyone, as well. Now, enjoy! 

                Seconds ticked by as Shane met Emily’s gaze in hopeful disbelief. Hesitantly, as if afraid he might waken from a cruel dream and find Emily still comatose, he reached for her, touching her face with trembling hands.

                 Her eyes blinked.

                 Breath hitching in his throat, Shane ran his thumbs across her cheekbones, damp eyes searching hers just inches away. She was awake. Emily was truly awake. Hungrily Shane lowered his mouth to hers, capturing her lips with frantic intensity only to release those plush pillows to rain gentle pecks on every exposed part of her face; eyes, nose, cheeks, and then back to her mouth.

               At last it seemed as though Shane ran out of steam, resting his forehead against Emily’s, eyes closed, lashes fanning his face as warm tears seeped from beneath.

                 When one dribbled onto Emily’s cheek she queried shakily, fear building in an already confused mind, “Shane? What’s wrong?—“

                Lifting his lids and still holding her face Shane laughed giddily, “Oh, shit, you came back to me, Emily! You’re really back!” One hand left her face to run through her curls gently while dark, damp eyes roved her countenance hungrily.

                   Frowning, Emily said slowly, “Where was I? I don’t rem—“

                “You’ve been in a coma for two-and-a-half weeks, Sweetheart! I didn’t think you’d ever wake up! Oh, God! I’ve been to hell and back because of you. Oh, shit! I have you back! Oh, shit!” he repeated, closing his eyes, hands cupping her face as he rest his head in the crook of her neck, dizzy from the intensity of emotion he was experiencing. She’d come out of her coma! His wife was with him once more!

                “A—coma? Are you serious?” Emily pulled back slightly to study her worried husband’s face, disbelief clearly written across her countenance.

                   A fussy little mewl came from between them.

                   Emily froze.

                  The sound repeated.

                   Glancing down she spied a small baby wrapped in a pink blanket sandwiched between them.

                    Raising amazed eyes Emily asked, “Our baby?”

                Smiling widely, unembarrassed by the tears drying on his cheeks, Shane answered, “Mrs. Emily McNeal, I’d like you to meet your daughter, Delaney Shana. The kids named her. You and I never really discussed names, I know, but the kids thought—“ 

                  Shane stared down into Emily’s eyes, forgetting the rest of what he’d planned to say and instead just sank into the emotions of the moment, taking her lips with his once more and ignoring their baby’s aggravated cries. Seeking lips devoured that mouth he’d thought he’d never feel against his again. Insistent, Shane drank from those soft petals now sighing his name. Quaking fingers held Emily’s head still for his onslaught. Sensing his desperation and wanting to assuage it, Emily raised her hands to cover her husband’s, gently stroking the backs of his hands in reassurance.