Chapter 3 The Second Trimester, Part I

A/N: Okay, here's the next installment, only a few hours late. The author was out last night researching for her next story (yeah, right!). Anyway, I want to thank everyone who is continuing to follow this story and its predecessor. This story is #14 on the Non-Teen list, and Six and Counting is #6. But I'm not happy enough. If you think either story is good enough to be #1 then pleaseeee vote, fan and comment. I may even start dedicating chapters as incentive to devoted readers/fans. That said, here is the next chapter. Enjoy!

          “Did you know that the best time for a pregnant woman to fly is during the second trimester?” Emily commented while she and Shane sat on their deck enjoying the sunset, watching their children play on the sand below.

            Shane glanced over at his wife as she lifted her water bottle to her lips while he took a swallow of beer, crossing his ankles and propping his feet up on the deck’s rail.

             Now that Emily was nearly five months pregnant Shane could breathe a sigh of relief. He’d gotten his wife back. No more zany hormones, mood swings, or fatigue. Just the occasional crying jag or concern that she was getting fat. Shit! She was pregnant and gorgeous, with that little protruding tummy, the mega boobs he was getting addicted to, and the little butterfly kicks he got to feel from the baby inside her. His baby. The one he’d made in her, with her. Hell, he’d never imagined how great marriage could b—Wait; flying?

                “You do know there is no stork so you don’t need to talk about flying, right, Sweetheart?” Shane poked fun even as Emily shot him a withering glance. Then she got serious, speaking quickly to keep her courage up.

                “Annalise wants to throw me a baby shower back in Williamsburg, but if I wait too long I may not be able to fly back there.”

             Heaving an anxious sigh Emily stared straight ahead, feeling Shane’s eyes on her and his silence weighing heavy. She knew this was going to be a touchy subject. Finally he spoke.

                “You want us to go back there for a baby shower? The kids are still in school, I have finishing touch—“

                “Not all of us. Just me. For a long weekend.”

                 Finally Emily met Shane’s eyes, apprehension shining through her direct gaze. His feet dropping from the rail to thud upon the deck, Shane sat upright and turned toward his wife, his own misgivings evident in his demeanor.

                “You want to go alone?”

               Although Shane travelled occasionally to location shots of his current book-gone-movie, Emily remained home, or the whole family travelled together. She had not left him since her escape across country over two years ago, and that suited Shane just fine. Now she wanted to leave?

                Turning her body to face his and reaching out to touch his cheek Emily said lovingly, “It’s a baby shower with all the women I knew when I lived there. It would be fun to talk to everyone, to go visit Lou Tarpley and—“

                “And Franklin?”

               Shane bit out his rival’s nickname, eyes closing at Emily’s gentle touch and face turning into her caress. The author stiffened at the mention of people his wife had worked with, especially him. At the mention of her former beau, Emily also straightened, eyes sparking while she chose her words with care.