Part 2 - Going Upstream

"I just need a place to start!"

With his words still echoing in the silence of his mind, Severn looked thoughtfully out of the skimmer's window at the bulk that was Magestorm Keep as it swung by below them, some two hundred metres distant.  The Keep was the heart of the Shattered Territories and home to the Magestorm Council, leaders of the mageborn people.  Located on an artificially-constructed plain carved from one of the largest of the mantle fragments created by the Rift's formation, the Keep was a castle built in what was called the Medieval European style.  That meant thick stone walls, a central keep and turrets and towers dotting its vast space.

And yet, for all of its imposing stone edifice and construction, the Keep was also a place of beauty, with dozens of parks, waterways and gardens both inside the walls and all around the great structure, a green space in the heart of the shadows that dominated the Shattered Territories.  And it was the start of his newest quest.

Severn frowned as his magical sight caught a slight shifting of light coming from one of the massive keep's rear entrances.  Could that be where the thieves managed to slip out of the castle unseen?  It was certainly worth another look, even though he could guess the Keep's security forces had already gone over it with a fine-toothed comb.

Making a mental note to do just that, the golahm settled back into his seat and waited for the skimmer to land.  With the Keep swinging just below them, he knew it wouldn't be long before they were on the ground.  Then things would start getting interesting!

As expected, It truly wasn't long after flying over the castle that the skimmer took an abrupt turn and began to descend, passing through shadow and light as it did.  Knowing their destination was the transportation hub just in front of the castle where mages and Shattered Territories folk gathered to use the publicly-accessible system, Severn prepared to disembark.  As he did so, he also began the first of many mental checklists he would need to keep track of the things he did to find  the codex.  'Check the rear entrance of the keep,' he thought, making that a priority task and first on the list.

A cluster of several skimmer pads in outward-radiating concentric rings, the terminal was an open and expansive place, with broad, gently curving paths connecting the pads, fountains and clusters of statuary to please the eye at every corner and music playing in the energy-laden air.  Made sense, since it was the one servicing the center of Magestorm power and mages did like their beauty in form and function.  

Severn let his eyes scan quickly over the organized chaos that thronged through the terminal as he descended the skimmer's short landing ramp, the crowds an equal mix of humans and golahm of all shapes and sizes, depending on what function they were created to fill.  And just as quickly he found himself frowning in disappointment.  No, no tell-tale traces of dancing magical light to indicate the codex had left the fragment via the terminal.  Time to check that off the list!

But, as his eyes fell onto the knot of golahm and humans that were standing near the terminal's northern gate, he got the feeling he was about to meet the welcoming committee.  That feeling was quickly confirmed as the group moved towards him as he descended to the ground, led by none other than Rand Arva, Quinn's husband and fellow member of the ruling council.

A handsome man by any standards, Lord Rand with his leonine mane of golden hair, quick smile and flashing sapphire eyes was a natural as the face of the council, handling public announcements and news conferences.  To have him meet Severn to give him his last instructions was almost a foregone conclusion.  'I just hope he has good news for me,' Severn mused as Rand approached with a smile.

"Ah, Severn!" the lion-maned mage said with a bright smile.  "It's so very good to see you again.  When Quinn told me she had approached you about finding the missing codex, I was absolutely delighted."