Part 4 - The Elements

Gwain felt a wave of dispair as he stared at the rod of black in Nomark's hand.  He would take possession of his beautiful princess just by willing it??

"No," he moaned, looking over his shoulder at a suddenly stricken Kessa.  "No," he repeated in a stronger voice, turning back to Nomark.  

"She is not for you!"

It was a reckless charge, but it was the only thing he could do to stop this cold monster from taking possession of the most grace-filled, the most beautiful creature in the world.  Without hesitation Gwain threw himself onto the stone spike and felt it easily penetrate his breastplate to pierce his very heart.  Then, as Nomark stared in astonishment at him, he swung his sword and removed the thin king's head before staggering back, his strength rapidly failing.

"She ... is not for you," he managed.  Then he was falling back.

Crying out, Kessa threw herself forward.  And, at the very last moment, she managed to catch him before Gwain hit the ground.  Cradling him, she lowered the stricken prince to the ground.

"Now ... you are safe, my lady," Gwain said in a hoarse whisper.  "As are your people."

"No, no, no," Kessa moaned.  "We are supposed to be together after I save you.  Together forever.  It is the will of the elements."

"Not ... this time, my beautiful ..." Then he was gone, going limp in her arms.

Pain rippled through her soul as Kessa felt Gwain's life evaporate.

"No!" she shrieked as the naga captain and one of his soldiers slithered into the cell, looking battered but alive.

"He gave his life for you, my lady," the captain said, his voice weary.  "And now we must flee before you come into more danger."

"No!" Kessa screamed again.  "He was here because of me.  I was supposed to save him, not see him killed protecting me."  Her eyes, swiftly filling with tears, dropped to Gwain's body.  Reaching out with a trembling hand, she yanked out the obsidian spike with a convulsive heave, throwing it wildly away from her before she could see his blood dripping from it.

"No, you will not die because of me, Gwain," she hoarsely hissed.  "You ... will ... live!"

The song erupted from her lips, fueled by need and emotion, primal and powerful.  But as it came out of her, she felt something else go with it.  Instinctively she knew what she was losing to create such a powerful song.  She was losing her immortality.

Setting her jaw firmly, she continued to sing.  If her immortality was the price she had to pay to save Gwain's life, then she would gladly pay it.  She would pay that cost a thousand times over, just to see him breath again.

Then he was convulsing in her arms as life abruptly returned, his soul dragged back from the next world and pushed once more into his body.  His wound disappeared and, with a final gasp, his eyes were fluttering open.

"I ... live?" he husked and found himself looking up into Kessa's face.  A face that, while as beautiful and full of grace as it had previously had, was now blessed by the gently curving brows and rounded ears of a human woman.

"You do, my prince," she said, reaching down to caress his face.

"But your ears, your eyes, ... you are no longer an elf."

"No.  My immortality is gone.  I gladly gave it up to cast the spell that saved your life," she quietly explained.  "Because immortality without you, would've have been death itself!"  And then she was throwing herself into Gwain's arms for a most sweet and delightsome kiss.

It's been said that long ago the elements would mark two people to bring balance and harmony to the world.  And that the positive energy created by that union would be Life itself.  And tales tell of a sea elf princess who gave up immortality itself for her elemental partner and, in doing so, discovered the true love and light that Life could bring.