Halewood [edited]

Halewood

The drive to Halewood was long and uncomfortable to say the least. My mother refused to speak to me and every time I tried to strike up a conversation, she simply stared at the road ahead of us, her face a cold mask of hardened emotions.

Since I no longer had my phone I couldn't listen to my music, no matter how much I wanted to turn on the radio I knew it would only cause more trouble for myself. Not only had my mother taken my home from me, she had taken my only escape away as well.

For the most of the drive I played with a loose thread on my skirt, thinking of all the ways I could kill my mother and escape the car. What? I've watched enough CSI to know how to make it look like an accident.

My heart practically stopped when we drove up to the familiar grey building. It was your typical creepy looking building with grey, moss covered brick walls and rusted bars, covering cracked and broken windows. I could only imagine what the inside looked like. Ever since I was little I had been flooded with pictures about this place, in hopes I would never end up here. Ironic.

"Perfect," I muttered sadly to myself.

I took my suitcase out of the car boot, luckily it wasn't damaged from its "adventure" down the stairs and followed my mother to the door. The wood was severely rotted and there were a few flakes of red paint in places. My mother glared at me, waiting for me to knock. I lifted the heavy brass knocker and tapped the door a few times.

A sense of déjà vu hit me and it felt like I was visiting Mrs. Lavonowitz all over again. I heard footsteps behind the door and it was wrenched open. A young girl around my age stood in the doorway. She had sea green eyes and straight, waist length, black hair. She was wearing a cream skater dress with matching glittery shoes and had legs for days.

"How may I help you?" she asked politely. Considering where she was living, she was incredibly well spoken.

I opened my mouth to reply but my mother interrupted me. "We're here to see Mr Jameson,"

The girl stepped back and let us in, closing the door quietly behind us.

"I'm afraid only you can go in," she said to my mother "She'll have to stay here, with me."

"That's not a problem," my mother replied

The girl showed my mother Mr Jameson's office and returned to "guard me" while we waited in the lobby. It was a long corridor that widened by the entrance with a large, dark brown staircase. There was a red carpet that covered only the middle of the floor, leaving a wooden border on the sides. She looked at me sympathetically, giving me a small smile. I returned the smile half-heartedly.

"My name's Clarissa," I said sighing. I was going to be here for God knows how long, might as well make friends.

"Jenna," she said holding out her hand. I shook it lightly.

We stood in silence waiting for my mother to come out. "Well this is awkward," I muttered

She laughed quietly, covering her mouth. We were both somewhat relieved when my mother came out of the office with Mr Jameson. He had shiny, light brown hair, cut short and chocolate brown eyes. He was medium height and well built. In my opinion he was quite attractive. She walked past me like I was a piece of dirt on the side of the road, smiling sweetly at Mr Jameson.

She slammed the door loudly behind her, leaving without saying goodbye. I felt a pang in my heart but reminded myself that she was the one abandoning me. I turned to look at Mr Jameson who was staring at me curiously.

"Is there a problem Mr Jameson?" I spat "Because you seem to be looking at me like I'm a science experiment."

"I'm going to ignore that remark on account of you being upset but one more outburst like that and...well I'll let Jenna explain,"