Chapter 9: School Part 2

"Hi, I'm Sam and this is Allie" Sam introduced herself to the teacher "we're new".

"Ah ok" Miss Fardell replied.

"Sam, why don't you sit in that empty desk next to Ollie and Allie, you can sit over there next to Lara". The girls nodded and walked to their desks which, in this room, were in pairs. "Hey" Ollie said showing off his dimples. Ollie had brown hair with natural streaks of blonde running through it and shining blue eyes. He was shorter than most year 7's and wittier than all of them. "Hi" Sam replied "So... Do you speak Italian?"

"Kinda. I can say a bit"

"Like?"

"Buongiorno Sam. Tu è molto bella".

"Cool! What did you say?"

"That's for me to know and you to find out!"

"But -"

Sam was cut off by the teacher marking the role.

After that was done, Miss Fardell preceded to ask "Who can I talk to? Ah, Allie!"

Allie reluctantly said "Si, signorina?"

"Alzativi". Allie stood.

"Ciao, Allie. Come stai?"

"Eh, bene grazie, e tu?"

"Non c'è male. Allie, di dove sei?"

"Sono di l'Australia, signorina"

"Molto bene, Allie. Sedetavi".

Allie sat down while everyone cheered. "Wow! Are you fluent in Italian?" Ameliè asked. Allie nodded with a smile spreading across her face. "That's amazing!" Amelia said.

"Thanks" Allie replied, blushing.

"Now, what about you, Sam? Alzativi". Sam looked at Ollie for support.

"Stand up" Ollie mouthed. Sam stood up. Ollie fumbled for paper and a pen. "Sam? Quanti anni hai?" Miss Fardell asked.

Ollie wrote on the paper. "Io ho tredici anni" Sam read.

"Giochi qualche sport?"

"Si. mi piace sport, signorina" Sam read.

"Sedetavi" Miss Fardell replied.

Sam sat down. Miss Fardell turned and started writing on the board. "Thanks" Sam whispered.

"You owe me one" Ollie replied in his cute English accent, flashing a smile while he copied off the board.

"Sure. Hey, who do you usually hang out with?"

"My friend, Will but he's not here today. Why?"

"Well I was wondering of you wanted to sit with us at lunch"

"Who's us?"

"Me, Allie, Lara and probably Amelié"

"Ok. Only of I can bring a friend. Im not always a ladies man" Ollie smiled.

"Of course not" Sam rolled her eyes.

•••

Lunch had rolled around and Sam, Allie, Lara and Amelié were sitting under the shade of a tree, eating their lunch. Allie and Amelié were a match made in heaven. They laughed and talked as if they had known each other for years. "So what do you think of St Johns so far?" Amelié asked. Amelié had short brown hair that curled at the ends. She was very tanned and had green eyes. "It's great!" Sam said in awe.

"Yeah" Allie agreed.

"Attention ladies!" Ollie interrupted "This is Charlie!" Charlie was average height with gold curly hair and green eyes. He looked cool and kept glancing over at Allie and smiling. Charlie and Ollie sat down and started eating their sandwiches. "Hi Charlie, I'm Allie and this is Sam" Allie said, gaining confidence.

"Sup. I was dragged over here by Ollie wanting to impress some girl so if you don't mind I'm going to play footy" Charlie replied. Ollie's cheeks were bright red and he gave Charlie the one fingered salute as Charlie walked away. "What he said wasn't true" Ollie said, still bright red.

"Of course not" Lara said, winking at Sam while giggling with Allie and Amelié. "That's why you said tu è molto bella in language"

Ollie's cheeks were now the shade of his apple. "Hey guys? I don't speak Italian, remember?" Sam stated "What does it mean?"

"It means -" Allie started before she was interrupted by Ollie who said "If you tell her, I will never talk to you again"

"Sounds good to me"

"I'll do your homework for a month!"

"Umm... Let me think"

"PLEASE!"

"Okay" Lara said with a grin.

•••

Sam sat next to Allie on the bus home. Sam whipped out her smartphone and opened google translate. She punched in 'tu è molto bella' and hit TRANSLATE. Then up popped the phrase 'You are very beautiful'. "Awww!" Sam sighed.

"What?" Allie asked.

"I know what that Italian phrase means"

"Wait- don't tell me you like him!"

"Maybe. A bit."

"Sam! You cant like him!"

"Why not!?"

"What happens when we have to move? When you have to leave him behind?"

"Oh. I should have known you were just trying to protect me. Thanks, Allie". Sam replied, meaning every word she said. She wasn't going to give up hope though. Sam sighed and smiled.

•••

"School is hard" Sam said as she collapsed on the lounge next to Allie.

"You'll get used to it"

"Great" Sam said sarcastically.

Buzzt. Buzzt. Sam checked her phone "1 new message". She clicked on it. "Amelié and Me r @ park. Meet us there in 5?? - Lara :)"

"Hey Allie, wanna come to the park?"

"Sure" Allie replied.

•••

"So you guys live in this neighborhood too?" Allie asked.

"Yep, I live just down that road" Lara replied, pointing down Rose Vine Road.

"And thats my house there" Amelia said pointing at number 16 Lilly Court.

"Cool", said Sam "We live at number 4 Daffodil Lane"

"Hey, that's the same road as Ollie" Amilé said "He's number 12, I think".

"Wow. Everyone's so close here" Sam said as the girls swung on the swings.