chapter 12

"Love is merely a madness, and, I tell you, deserves as well a dark house and a whip as madmen do."

-William Shakespeare-

 chapter 12

There is a limit up to which your body can take it. Some say there is no limit, your strength lies within you, and if you want, you can do anything. Well these lines were just utter bullshit to Ethan, why do you ask.

Well because there are no super humans, and it doesn't matter how strong the hero is or how brave he is, after having your face smashed in with a hammer, and having several wounds, anyone will loose their shit, and after all Ethan never took himself as a hero type either for obvious reasons.

But even in unconscious state he can feel the heat and the warmth of the fire nearby him. For some few seconds his mind tricked him into thinking that he was back home, in his bed. Not in this godforsaken forest!!

But your subconscious can only trick you for so long. Soon the uncomfortable position he was in made it difficult to breathe any longer for him.

Ethan's eyelids were heavy but somehow he got the strength to open them. But when he did open them, he saw nothing but white snow. And soon he realized that his face was lying on snow, he placed both his hands on the ground to support himself as he tried to get up

.

First attempt was a failure but then in second attempt he got the strength to lift his face from the ground. He tried to see his surroundings, but his hair was blocking the view; Ethan made a loud grunt noise when he tried to apply some pressure on his leg in order to get up.

He felt helpless. Ethan took the support from a tree which was just a few inches away; he dragged himself with his hands to sit with his back facing the tree. And after what seemed like a eternity to him, he was finally able to breathe properly. So he opened his eyes once more to scan the area.

It was nearly dark, but still some few sun rays danced at the top of dead leaves which were present far above the ground upon some very long trees. But those faint flickers of light dared not reach the ground, as if they were afraid to die in the dense forest. No sign of happiness anywhere, the sun was about to set. The temperature was falling again. Why did he had to pick this place for his honeymoon? why didn't he choose Bahamas like any other normal husband. Ethan can almost taste the bitter snap that his subconscious made at him by calling him 'normal'.

But the bundle of wood which was lit with fire provided Ethan some comfort. Wait fire? Who lit this camp fire?

This question was soon answered when a voice came across from the opposite direction from which he was sitting.

"So I see that you are awake, huh"

The person's face was still invisible due to the flames created by the fire between them. But even in his worst state he knew, that the mysterious voice belonged to Rachel.

"Yes, thanks for the help by the way." Ethan replies with a bit of sarcasm in his tone. As he was still pissed at her for not helping her get up when his whole body was lying on snow, and he couldn't even move his leg.

"Oh don't be mad now, you should feel lucky."

"And why is that?" Ethan was curious to hear her reply. What is so lucky about this situation?