chapter 7

A storm was coming towards the cabin which was present in the middle of woods. Winter was at it's peak, no sign of life anywhere. Not one single leaf can be found; trees were naked and their nakedness was only covered by white snow. Snow, which is the only thing that could be seen for miles.

The once blue sky was now black, dark clouds threatened sky’s freedom. The ground was pure white, covered in snow; earth was nowhere to be found. The winds blew with all the furry, stopping nowhere sparing no one. The mixture of all these deadly dark natural phenomena was extremely evil.

Evil just like the cabin’s inside atmosphere. Evil was inside and outside also, now that could only mean darkness and death.

Rachel was watching her furious husband very carefully. None of them were prepared for a storm like this; they were running out of gas. Gas was essential for the generator to work, if they run out of it no doubt they won’t be able to survive the storm.

“We have one more hour, after that the generator will die.” Ethan said this while keeping his head down as he was afraid to look in her eyes.

It had been two hours since Ethan last talked to her wife and that happened in his ‘playroom’ where he lost his temper. He was trying to convince himself that this only happened because she provoked him. But inside he knew it was his fault, he crossed the line with her. And her only fault was that she challenged him, which he didn’t like one bit.

He tried to talk to her; he even offered to stitch her cut which he caused. But she refused to take any help from him; in reality she was terrified from him. She wanted to run...But where? She wanted to scream for help...But who would hear her? Her only hope was that phone call that she made and now it was gone too. In this storm nobody can find them, all roads to here must have been already closed.

And even if she does succeed in surviving Ethan, she won’t be able to survive this storm. Without him she was helpless. She wanted to sit somewhere warm but that would risk in getting near to Ethan. He did offer her to sit on couch but again her pride got in the way.

She was sitting on floor far away from him, her back to the wall. Ethan was sitting in front of her across the living room on couch. It was only a few meters but being away from him gave her some kind of satisfaction of safety.

“Don’t you have extra gas?” Rachel asked, finally speaking to him. The I am not talking to you because you are a psychopathic husband contest can wait because both of them will die due to this storm if they don’t figure this out.

“Jee I never thought of that, I must have some extra in my pocket” he turns his pants pockets upside out “shit I guess I ran out of it princess.”

“No need to be sarcastic on me you are the one who wanted a honeymoon in this goddamn cabin, which is in the middle of nowhere. And to top that in winter’s season.”

“I didn’t know the weather was going to be that bad.” Ethan was now frustrated with all these accusations. He wasn’t lying on couch anymore he was sitting, he ran his fingers through his hair and sighed heavily “it’s really getting cold in here.”

Rachel’s only comfort of warmth was a small blanket; the wooden floor was getting extremely cold now. She was shivering, but she didn’t let it show. She just covered herself more with one hand and she hides her one hand which was injured under the blanket to keep it warm. “Can you check the temperature again?”  She asked while seeing white fog leaves her mouth when she spoke.

Ethan got up from the couch and checked the reading on thermometer while rubbing his hands very lightly.

“It's three degree Celsius, it’s not supposed to be so cold here. The generator must have died.”