Chapter 8

When I got home, all my worries seemed to disappear. I made myself some tea, rolled myself into a burrito with a blanket, sat in front of the TV and forgot about everything for a while

...

That is what I would like to say, but unfortunately it is not what happened. When I got home I laid facedown on my bed and sighed heavily. I stayed there for a few minutes before getting up and staring at the wall. I knew that I was just wasting time but for some reason, when you're attacked by monsters and realize that the fate rests on your shoulders, being productive and doing homework doesn't seem all that important.

'Do you think the teachers will believe me if I say that the minotaur ate my homework?' I asked myself. Thankfully, before I could make any more lame excuses, I received a call from no other than the famous Nik!

"I looked more into Greek mythology because of what you were saying earlier and these people were pretty crazy. Perseus was a Greek hero, son of Zeus, He's the one that chopped off Medusa's head and stuff. But MAN, I feel bad for the poor guy. I would have not liked to have Zeus as a father. Did you know he once ate the mother of his daughter? And one time he turned the woman he was having an affair with into a cow. And this other time he-"

"Okay. I get it. Zeus was a terrible father and the Greeks really got creative with their stories." I interrupted him before he could rant any further. He seemed to be talking very fast and sounded more energetic than usual.

"Yeah, but here's the thing. There's a chance that all of this might be true. How long do you think I would last if I made fun of Zeus for turning his lover into a cow?" I tried imagining Nik in front of Zeus, criticizing his life choices.

"You wouldn't last one second. You'd be burnt instantly. You'll become the gods' new fast food. Also, why do you sound so hyper? Did you eat something weird?"

"I just ate a bunch of sugar that I should get out of my system by doing exercise, but I am instead getting it out of my system by playing videogames."

"Wow. I love having a friend who is healthy and has a well-balanced lifestyle. You should tell me a few tips on how to live a good life. I'm sure you would be a great influence" I said with as much sarcasm as I could pour into my words. Nik laughed.

"Of course. I'm actually writing a book on how to live a healthy lifestyle. I'll call it "Nik's guide to ordering pizza". And guess what? I'll give you a signed copy of the book!"

"Oh, I can't wait for that signed copy. Just out of curiosity, when will this book come out?" I asked. Nik paused for a moment, probably trying to come up with something funny to say.

"I'll take the example of Daxxxxxxxxno6 and write a chapter every two years. I'll make you wait even longer than a new season of Sherlock!" I rolled my eyes.

"I'll wait for it. I better be the first person to get a copy. And it has to be signed by you. That way, when you're famous, I'll sell the book and make a fortune out of it. And I won't be sharing any of my wealth with you."

"Oh come on! I'm the one that deserves all the money!!! Just wait until I become famous! Then you'll regret not being nicer to me. Yeah...." He stopped talking for a moment. I could tell that something was bothering him but I decided not to ask him about it. "I'm sure that someday..." Nik continued. His voice had changed. He talked in a more serious tone. "Someday I'll be famous so until then... don't die. I know we're getting pulled into a tornado of danger and confusion but we both have to make it through it. Because I don't want to die... I don't want you to die either. So-"

"I don't want to die either. So just shut up and relax. I'll do everything I can to keep us both alive. Good luck. " I heard a laugh. It wasn't necessarily a happy laugh, but it wasn't a sad laugh either. It was a laugh that showed relief and just a bit of concern, and I was thankful for it.

"Alright. Good luck to you too. I have to leave now. See you tomorrow." Nik said and he hung up. I smiled.

"Yeah... I sure hope that we are the lucky ones."

**********

A/N I was reading a few previous chapters to look at where I left off and in one of them I'm happy because it was 2015. And look at me now, 2017 and still in chapter 8. Oops?