Chapter 2: The fire within

He gazed into my eyes intensely. I smoothed the duvet to distract myself from his unnerving attention. Fingers feeling for the familiar comforting talisman, I brushed a soft satin material. Peering under the covers, my ragged T-shirt and denim jeans seemed to have been replaced by a single baby blue negligee. Alarmed, my widened eyes sought the boy's nonplussed stare.

Fighting for control, I asked him the only thing weighing on my mind. "Did you undress me?" I choked out.

He nodded once. "Your previous clothes were soaked and to treat you, we needed to get you in dry comfy clothes," He explained. Crossing his arms, he continued to regard me steadily. Resigned, I decided not to press the issue. After all, there is more at stake here than my modesty. Moving on.

"So where are we? How did we get here? Why did you help-" The boy raised a hand to silence my ensuing questions.

"First things first. My name is Oliver. I live in this desolated house with my grandmother." He proffered a hand and I shook it. Flashing Cam a businesslike glance, he continued.

"You and your friend fainted on the porch. I could only help you both one at a time. After ensuring he was safely settled I then brought you in."

I interrupted, " he's my brother, Cam." He gave a nod of acknowledgement and continued briskly, "you had a head wound and a mild fever. I treated your head wound with a medicated salve and injected you with an insulin to reduce your temperature." To my utter surprise, he had actually just admitted to taking care of us although we were but strangers.

I bowed my head graciously and said, "thank you for taking us in when we were helpless. Surely there is something you want as a token of our appreciation?" I offered. He was already shaking his head before I finished speaking.

"No thank you. I only wished that Grandmother would get better," he trailed off wistfully.

"Dear Oliver, you worry about me too much," I startled at the rasping voice that came from behind Oliver. She sounded really frail, as if a mere wind would tip her over.

Despite her waif-like appearance, I could sense that she possessed authority. I bowed my head, recognizing the power behind her words.

"Raise your head, young Fool," commanded the old woman. I complied obediently although I did not understand why she called me that. She tipped my chin, tilting it here and there. Her rheumy eyes light with recognition.

"I see," she murmured. At once, a loud hacking cough racked her body.

"Grandma! You must rest at once!" Oliver chided her, genuine concern clouding his clear sea-green eyes.

"Wait, dear Oliver. Not before I give her the thing," she protested.

She walked over and tilted my head up and lightly pecked my forehead. Soon enough I felt a warm glow emanating from my core. It felt as if I had sharpened senses.

Cam's chamomile scent, Oliver's grandmother weakening heartbeat, Oliver's emotions which is red tinged with green and purple. My own mother used to tell me red means longing,green means envy and purple means desire.

Whoa, were these emotions intended for me? Testing it out, I reached over and twined a lock of his black hair behind his ear, a spike of red and purple surrounding him.

But on the surface, his face was a cool mask. He stiffened and backed away from my touch.

"I'm sorry, but you must take your leave now, for my grandmother is ill," he instructed us tersely, stumbling over the apology. His grandmother chuckled softly, apparently needing no explanation for what happened.

"We understand. Thanks for taking us in," I said. He nodded curtly.

We left the comfort of the house. Just then, Oliver's head peered around the open doorway.

"Please don't tell anyone about what you felt from me," he requested. I winked knowingly, laughing when he turned a beer red. It seems he doesn't find me that undesirable after all.

Cam looked suspicious but I refused to divulge any details.

While walking midway, I felt a tug at my core. "Cam, wait." I stopped, certain I felt something. I stilled, a theory forming on the tip of my brain. "What if," I began slowly, "we were actually supposed to do something before the pathway to home will show?" I asked aloud, knowing my words to be true the moment they were out.

Ignoring Cam's skeptical side glance, I paced in the snow. And then it happened too fast.

I felt as if I was being sucked into a vortex. If I resisted, I fear that I would be split into two. And then it stopped. My heart plummeted.

And then something really did happen.