Chapter Twenty-Three

“Listen, Barbie,” he started impatiently. “I don't know how long I've got so don't interrupt me.”

I stared at his rapidly searching irises and spoke my confusion, “Wha –” he narrowed his eyes and tilted his head warningly. I quickly shut my mouth and listened to the quick succession of words that flowed from his mouth without interruption.

“I am a part of a Special Task Force known as the BOA Constrictors.”

"Wait, why are you telling me this?" I hated myself for speaking when his gaze turned fiery and I could practically feel it scorch my skin with its intense blaze.

"Just shut up!" He responded loudly and rapidly, as though anxious. He was apprehensive; I could practically feel his anxiety as though it were a part of me. "BOA stands for:

British

Operations

Assassins

It is a covert sector of British Intelligence.” He paused to gauge whether I understood and when he was sure that I did, he continued. “We are a group of the best assassins around the United Kingdom that they assembled to create the most elite and effective task force.”

"Why the hell are you telling me all of this?" I demanded frantically. I couldn’t stop myself, I had to ask. The words were already on the tip of my tongue and they burst free before I could bring myself to stop.

He ignored my interruption. “I want you to go and talk to Charlotte, she will tell you what to do about the person that’s coming after me.  And no matter what, make sure you are the one that takes care of him; it's the only move he will not expect.”

Take care of him.

I began shaking my head and my eyes grew wide with shock. Was he insane? I just got around the idea of him being a contract killer and now he wanted me to participate? That was beyond optimism; in fact, it was verging on psychosis.

Who the hell was “he” anyways?

Phoenix reached for my arm and added a slight pinch of pressure to my bicep with his clammy palm as he continued. “Sadie, you can do it. This – this person that’s coming to get me; he’s amazing but... he’s on the wrong side. He is notorious with a list of murders so long that even I was shocked to find out. But no one knows that he committed any of the kills because he leaves nothing behind; absolutely nothing.”

Phoenix stopped talking to examine my face. “I hate the idea of making you do something like this but... you need to do it and no one else because he is good, Sadie. Absurdly good. He would be able to see right through any of Charlotte’s other strategies... except you, Barbie. Only you.”

I spoke at just above a whisper. “What do you mean “coming to get me”?” My voice sounded broken, even to me.

“Barbie, you can’t avoid a trained assassin,” he muttered sadly. His eyes jumped to the school roof and darkened viciously. I could only stare at him with wide eyes as he swiftly shifted our bodies so that his back was facing the aging structure.

He leaned forward and I felt his lips brush mine but just as I had closed my eyes, he pulled back. It was the softest that he and I had shared and I couldn’t help but raise my hand to my lips to feel what little traces were left of his mouth on mine. The skin was tingling and I suddenly felt the need to bawl because of the disheartening expression on his face that followed.

He smiled. It wasn’t a full grin with the teeth that I loved so much but just a small transformation at either corner of his mouth. I hated this smile; this smile signified the end.