Chapter Three

Chapter Three

The engine grumbled once more and then fell silent.

“You go to a clothing store?” I asked doubtfully.

“Get in and buy yourself some decent clothes,” he ordered.

I scoffed. “Why?”

“I refuse to be seen with a bum,” he explained with an exasperated sigh.

“You really need to stop calling me homeless,” I muttered and crossed my arms over my chest stubbornly.

He groaned and managed to get off the bike before coming across and lifting me up and away from the leather seat. He then placed me by the sidewalk and pointed at the store. “Just. Go,” he growled threateningly.

“I don’t have money you idiot,” to justify what I said, I inverted my pockets and only a single piece of lint fell out.

His eye twitched angrily as he reached into his front pocket and handed me a small bundle. Who the hell carried bills in bundles?

I grabbed the wad and skipped into the shop. I did have a debit card inside my school bag but I needed to ensure that he wouldn’t just leave me here and a cash investment was the perfect means of doing so.

The shop was one of those annoying ones that were filled with plenty of one-of-a-kind clothes that were in ‘fashion’. I much preferred sports-wear stores because of their endless collection of basketball shorts and track pants. What was wrong with my outfit anyways? He was just being a sexist cow.

But I wouldn’t argue with him. If the only way he would let me hang out with him was via a mini-skirt and crop-top then I would acquire exactly that.

Being in the store gave me the creeps... There weren’t that many customers present so most of the employees had their questioning eyes set on me. I bet that they were all probably wondering why someone dressed as I could even so much as think about entering their high-end and expensive boutique.

Well, fuck you too.

I made a beeline for the cashier’s desk and cleared my throat when the lady didn’t look up from her computer. “I need an outfit,” I stated uneasily.

She looked at me as though I were the gum that had just been scraped off the bottom of her shoes. Maybe Phoenix was right and I did look like a hobo. “Well, ma’am. This is a clothing store,” she clarified, unimpressed by my dumb statement.

The general atmosphere of the shop along with her impolite reply angered me. I just wanted a stupid outfit so that I could get out of their stupid store and get on with my life but the dumb-as-hell­ woman behind the counter was acting high and mighty. I resisted the urge to climb over the desk and give her a piece of my mind. “Can you just get one of your staff members to help me?” I spoke through gritted teeth.

I have not got time for this.

The lady sensed my anger but did nothing to speed up her effort to get me assistance. First, she typed something into the computer and then she answered a call. I moved to say something but she held up her index finger and looked at me in an intimidating manner as she spoke to someone on the other end. I could feel myself developing an ulcer.

Finally, she yelled out some guys name and motioned for him to join us at the desk. “Take this,” she paused to think. “Girl... and help her pick something out.”

The vein on my forehead was frighteningly close to bursting. How could a business treat their clientele like this? Actually, what I was really wondering was why Phoenix would bring me to such an expensive shop in the first place.