Chapter 5

[[Old Habits]]

The silence was killing me and I began to fidget in my seat as I willed someone to break the silence. I looked across at each of their faces but they all seemed to be left without words.

"Whoa." Tina said being the first to speak. I relaxed and stood up.

"You like it?" I asked still feeling nervous.

"I never knew you could sing!" Kat said jumping up.

"Hidden talent I guess." I laughed nervously.

"Your voice is amazing!" Kerri said leaning on the piano.

"Thanks." I blushed. I wasn't used to getting compliments about my voice.

"Food!" Andy yelled and ran out the door. Kerri laughed and shook her head.

 Boys. I mentally rolled my eyes.

We headed back into the living just as Zac and Matt came running down the stairs with water pistols. They stopped at the bottom of the stairs and grinned at us.

"What are you up to?" I asked slowly and curiously.

"Lacey's having a sleepover and we're going over." Zac shrugged.

"Uninvited, I bet." Kat said sinking into the sofa more. I gave her a curious look but she just looked away.

"Who was in the music room?" Matt asked his hand on the door handle.

"We were." I said as if it was obvious.

"I know that, I mean who was playing and singing?" I saw Kerri going to open her mouth but I beat her to it.

"Andy was on guitar, Wilson on drums, I played piano and Tina was singing." I said quickly. They all looked at me confused but thankfully Matt believed me. I wasn't sure about Zac though.

I could feel him watching me, reading my expression so I tried to keep my face straight and avoid eye contact.

"You've got an amazing voice Tina." Matt said opening the door.

"Naw, thanks Matt." She grinned happily and completely cluelessly. We heard the door shut and I sighed in relief.

"Tina, you know he was really complimenting Sophie's voice right?" Kat said to the still overly happy Tina.

"No. But if she won't take it, I certainly will. Besides, she's the one who said it was me, I was just playing the game. Duhhh." Tina said shaking her head making no sense whatsoever.

"Where are you guys staying then?" I asked hoping to change the subject. It worked.

"My aunt's down the street." Andy said coming in with a chocolate bar in one hand and a piece of chocolate cake in the other hand.

"Andy, really?" Kerri said staring in horror.

"Sorry babe. You know how I get with sugar." He said before taking a huge bit of the cake.

******************

Waking up in a good mood is a hard thing to do, unless I have a reason like it's my birthday or it's the final day of school then I'm not a morning person and you don't want to get on my bad side.

Today however, is different. For some unknown reason I woke up smiling tearing my curtains apart. What was even more shocking  was the sun blazing through my window, considering it was summer it was as dull as winter. But not today.

I showered, letting the hot water losen my muscles before throwing on my denmin shorts that I've been dying to wear for weeks.  I'd received a text from Tina saying she was having a BBQ and to bring my swim suit.