Chapter 10 - Be yourself

"So like Tristan and I turn a month. I mean we've practically known each other since forever and I figured I should do something special," Miles told Zoë. The two were at the Dot, having lunch together. Tristan was at a dentist appointment.
"Oh...that's really nice of you. He's probably gonna love it," she replied sadly. Miles took a bite of his burger and stared at Zoë.
"Um...is something wrong , Zoë? Is it your monthly?" Miles asked. Zoë was freaked out by his question and threw a French fry at him.
"Hey! I'm gonna eat that," Miles chuckled.
"Well then eat it," Zoë replied coldly.
"You're acting awfully weird, Zo. What's up?" Miles asked. Zoë stared at him for a second and without thinking, she leaned towards him and kissed him. Miles slowly pushed her away, obviously startled by the kiss.
"What the hell?!" He said. Zoë covered her face and shook her head.
"Ugh, sorry!" Miles sipped his drink and sighed.
"Why did you do that? Look I won't tell Tristan because he's gonna be super angry," Zoë glared at Miles.
"Tristan this. Tristan that. Poor pooor Tristan." She said, rolling her eyes. Miles was confused. He wondered why she was acting so weird.
"Seriously what's the matter? You can talk to me you know, I'm your best friend," Miles put his hand on her shoulder.
"I think...I think I like you?" Zoë said to him. Miles' eyes widened and he shook his head.
"Sure Zoë. And I'm not gay," he joked.
"I'm serious Miles! I think I like you!" She said, putting her hand on his lap.
Miles stared down at her hand and sighed.
"Do you wanna feel me up?" He asked out of nowhere.
"Huh?"
"Do you wanna feel me up? Have sex? Do you get excited about my penis?" Miles asked her. Zoë stared at him and looked at his chest. She realized that she didn't feel any of those things. She shook her head.
"Okay...so you don't want me physically. Zoë I think you just really love me. I mean we are best friends," he said as he leaned back.
"Yeah...I'm gay. Totally straight up gay. Heh,"
Miles sighed.
"Be who you wanna be, Zoë. Be who makes you happy. Like really, what makes you happy these days?"
Zoë thought for a second then came to a conclusion.
"You and Tristan. You guys honestly are the reasons why I ever get through anything," she said. "And I kinda have a crush on Esme."
"So then let Esme know that. Okay? You don't have to hide who you are from me, okay? I love you for you and Tristan does too." Zoë nodded happily and thought that Miles was right. Maybe she just wanted to be loved the way Miles likes Tristan.

"Maya can we talk?" Cam said as he followed her into the music room. Maya stared at him and sighed.
"There's nothing to talk about," she replied.
"Please don't let this come between us. That post about the Hollingsworth kid has nothing to do with our relationship!" Cam defended himself.
Maya took out her music sheets and put them on the music sheet holder.
"Cam I had work to do, okay? Can you just go?" Maya was serious. She didn't wanna be with Cam because of how much of a jerk he's been. She knew that deep down inside the good Cam was there.
Cam sat on a chair and buried his face in his hands.
"I'm sorry okay?"
"Why do it?" She asked sounding confused. Cam looked up at her.
"Huh?"
"What do you mean?"
Maya groaned and sat beside him. He studied her face and looked into her eyes.
"Why do mean things? Why be a big bully?" She asked him. Cam narrowed his eyes to the ground.
"I don't know because it makes me feel good, I guess," he replied.
Maya nodded and laughed under her breath.
"Let me ask you this, Cam. What if I told people that you're a bad basketball player?"
"Well I'm not."
"They know you'd be lying."
Maya sighed. "What if I told people that I was only dating you so that I could get the popularity? What if I told people that you're such a bad kisser and that you're a big homophobe?" Cam stared at Maya appalled.
"Those are all lies! They are lies...right?" Cam asked as he stood up.
"I don't know, Cam. You tell me," she said. "Words hurt and maybe you need a taste of your own medicine. Those kids, Tristan and Miles they didn't do anything to you. They are freshmen who just started this place! I just We are sophomores! They're still trying to find their place and you've already found yours! That doesn't mean that they are beneath you! That doesn't mean that they aren't cool. That doesn't mean that you can treat them like however you want!" Maya argued her point. She loved Cam but she didn't know if she wanted to be with him anymore. She used to be proud to be the girlfriend of Cam Saunders and now she isn't even.
"Maya, you're blowing this out of proportion..." Cam grabbed her arm and tried to calm her down but she jerked him away.
"DONT TOUCH ME!" She yelled.
"I don't want to be with you, Cam. Not until you get yourself together and learn to be nice for once. I miss the old you!"
"I'm still the same, I don't really feel a difference?" He said. Maya shook her head, disappointed.
"Just please leave. I'm done talking to you. You aren't even worth my time," Maya continued to read her music notes and write in her notebook. Cam was shocked by what Maya had said. He stared at her in disappointment and shook his head before he stormed out. Maya watched him. She felt bad for saying all those hurtful things but she was tired of him. She knew deep down that Cam was nice. But she didn't want to stick around for the bad Cam because she was just tired of seeing him hurt people. I hope he changes. Because I really love him.