Chapter 12

"I didn't have the 'dead body' nightmare last night," I told Jasmine as we drove toward Emma's house

"I didn't have the 'dead body' nightmare last night," I told Jasmine as we drove toward Emma's house. "So it must've been Shelby's mom." Relief flooded over me. "I think it's over."

Jasmine raised her eyebrows. "I hope you're right."

"Me, too. The feeling was so strong when I saw Shelby's mom."

"So, you saved two lives yesterday?" Jasmine poked my shoulder. "I have the coolest best friend ever."

I laughed. "No. I do. Who else would put up with all my weirdness?"

"And then there're your visions."

"Ha ha." A contentment settled around me, a calm I hadn't felt in weeks. But as soon as Emma's house came into view, I shivered. "Now all I have to do is figure out what's going on with her."

Emma burst out her front door and grabbed the truck handle before Jasmine came to a full stop.

"Is Mrs. Red Cloud still feeling bad?" I said.

Emma nodded as she practically lunged into the back seat.

"You okay?" Jasmine studied Emma in the rearview mirror.

"I'm fine," Emma said. "Can we go?"

"Headache again?" I remembered her crying and holding her head out on the Colorado Trail. "I have some Advil if you need some."

"What's with the twenty questions?" Emma glared at us. "Is it going to be like this all night? Because if it is, I'm out of here."

I twisted around in my seat. "Have anyone care much?"

"No," Emma said. "As a matter of fact, I haven't."

I pointed between Jasmine and myself. "Well, this is what it looks like."

"Sorry." She crossed her arms and stared out the side window.

What was going on with her? She was such a prickly girl.