Chapter 11

Going down the river again wasn't something I remembered agreeing to. But there I was in Luke's Challenger, with Jasmine and Tokola in the back, heading toward the river. Perhaps some feeble attempt at courage on my part? Trying to heal my wounded pride? Stupid.

Luke squeezed my hand. "I won't let you down."

All I could do was blink. And breathe.

"Don't worry, Bay," Tokola said. "If Luke chokes, I'll be there. I'm a better swimmer."

Luke whipped his head toward the back seat. "How do you figure?"

"YMCA, buddy," Tokola said. "YMCA."

Luke exhaled. "Long time ago."

When we got to the launch site, Luke fastened my life vest and led me into the raft. It was as if someone else was walking around in my body. I gripped the ropes, refused a paddle, and felt the raft being pushed out into the water.

Jasmine squeezed my shoulder. "You're doing fine." Then she leaned toward Luke. "Don't even think of doing any back flips today."

"Duh."

Everything went okay until we reached the first rapids. The raft lurched. Freezing water sprayed into my face. The rope burned into my hands, but I squeezed even harder. If I didn't let go, I couldn't be thrown over. Right?

When we got to another smooth section, Luke dropped the oars, scrambled over, and rubbed my back. "You're doing great," he said. "Just a little longer." All I could do was stare into the water as it mocked me.

Then there was the roar. It was waiting for us around the bend. The place where I'd ditched it.

I used to love that roar.

I used to be fearless.

Luke leapt back to the oars. The river threw us around the curve just in time to see another raft flip over. Everyone spilled into the water - the guide, the passengers. Luke yelled for Tokola and Jasmine to paddle toward the raft.

Was he crazy? Then we'd flip, too. I had to warn them, but couldn't pull any air into my lungs. The people were bobbing in the water, swirling in some kind of whirlpool. We had to help them.

Luke, Tokola, and Jasmine paddled with all their might, and then used their paddles to drag the people toward our raft. I should've been helping, but I couldn't pry my fingers off the ropes.

Then a woman screamed as she thrashed in the water. "Shelby! Oh my God! Shelby!"

A small dark head bobbed down the river. Fast. The current was taking her away.

The mom had long dark hair. What if she was the 'dead' person? She'd be despondent if her child drowned. Maybe we were on the river at the same time for a reason.

"Hey!" I yelled, but everybody was busy with the other rafters. The water was so cold. I knew how it could force you into oblivion, and that was just a little kid. Before I could think, I disengaged my hands from the ropes.

And jumped in.

The icy water. It was the same. Horrible. Cold. But the girl. The mom. I struggled for the surface. Luke shouted my name. The girl was just ahead of me and I used the current to help me swim toward her. "I'm coming," I yelled.

Then she disappeared under the water.

I dove under. All I could see were churning bubbles. I swam back up, gulped a huge breath of air, and dove again. The girl was below me, her hair and arms waving above her head. Why wasn't her life vest floating her back to the top? I unlatched my life vest and let it shoot up.