Chapter 6

Jasmine brought the truck to where Kai kept me upright against the wall

Jasmine brought the truck to where Kai kept me upright against the wall. She glared until Kai released me.

"What was that?" she asked as I sank into the passenger seat.

"He was just . . . I got dizzy." Or something. My heart raced, the warmth of his hands still clung to my elbows.

"He'd better keep his hands off you if he knows what's good for him."

I disagreed. Silently.

Jazz brooded all the way back to my house. "Don't get any romantic ideas," she said as she pulled into my driveway.

Too late.

"He's a juvi grad, Bay."

"Thanks for the ride." I got out of the truck and walked toward my front door.

"I'll be back at 6:45, hopeless case," she called out the window as she backed out onto the road.

"Oh, good. You're home," Mom said. "Chief Bradford wants to thank you in person for helping with Emma's case." She grabbed her purse and keys.

"Can't I drive myself?" I had my license, just not a car. The clip in her voice told me she wasn't into this at all. But this was my detective dream coming true. I didn't want her putting a bummer on things.

"I'm not sending you in there alone." There was finality in her voice. No point in arguing.

Mom parked the Jeep outside the Durango Police Department. She hadn't spoken the whole way over, and her hands trembled on the steering wheel.

"Mom, maybe it'd be better if you waited out here." Her mental state worried me.

She grabbed my hand. "I'm not going to lie to you, Bailey. I'm terrified of this. I don't want what happened to Gramps to happen to you."

"It won't. I promise." I was going to make sure of it.

Her hand slipped from mine and she stared out the windshield. "You can't promise that."

"Yes, I can. I knew I was going ditch it into the river before it happened." I reached for her shoulder. "That means I'll know it if anyone comes after me. I don't know why Gramps didn't have visions of himself. But I do."

She closed her eyes. "I'll pray you're right."

When we walked into the police station, everyone stood up and clapped. I flinched. Mom froze. Did everyone know? Red anger bloomed up Mom's neck. She was going to blow a gasket.

"All right, all right. Let her in," the Chief said. "Hello, Bailey." He nodded to Mom. "Mrs. Tucker. Come on in." He towered above us as he pointed toward the back of the station. I took Mom's wrist and pulled her into his glass-encased office. She exhaled impatiently and sat down in one of the chairs facing his desk. I took the other.