Chapter 17: Excuses

SHAUN'S POINT OF VIEW

       After I left Kendra's house, I went home and smoked weed with Anthony. Kendra was stressing the hell out of me. She acted like she knew everything.

"So you ask Kendra if she went to the doctor for a check up."

"Nah, did you see her clothes? She won't be able to afford no doctor check up."

"Oh, so you can make fun of her but I can't?"

"I don't even care, she's wack. She was tryna get me to sell my clothes."

"That's actually funny...she's that desperate for a dollar?"

        Anthony and I were laughing so hard and it felt good to be able to laugh at something in my messed up situation.

"See you shoulda never tried to get with her. I knew something messed up would've happened between you two. It was too good to be true."

"I don't know why I wanted her so bad. She's attractive for some reason."

"She aint attractive at all. She's cute but she has no breast or ass."

"Yeah, but I was lookin' for personality."

"Man, shut up. You sound like a punk."

"Whatever, I just wanna get high and not think about anything."

        When my blunt was half way done, I left Anthony outside and went to my room. I took off my True Religion jeans and my dark orange Polo shirt. I kept on my white socks and put on my black Nike basketball shorts. 

        I laid in my bed without a shower, and thought about what it would be like to be a father. I never knew anything about being a proper parent because my folks died when I was twelve.

                                                                *****

"Mom can I go to Anthony's house to play video games!?"

"You're twelve years old. You don't need to be playing no games."

"Mom, everyone plays video games!"

"Well if you're going over there you need to be careful when you're walking these streets and behave."

"I always behave at Anthony's house."

"You need to be back here by 7:00 PM."

"Alright, bet."

                                                             *****

KENDRA'S POINT OF VIEW

        When I woke up the next morning I jumped off the bed and ran into the bathroom. I felt sick as hell and I barely ate, so I was throwing up white gooey stuff. As I leaned over the toilet, I knew my mom would soon figure out about my pregnancy. 

        I flushed the toilet, washed my hands, brushed my teeth, and washed my face. When I opened the bathroom door, I thought I should finally tell my mom.

        I stepped right into her room and she was already sitting up on her bed, reading the SEARS magazine.

"Mom?"

        She put down the SEARS magazine and motioned for me to sit with her. 

"I have something to tell you, but I'm scared..."

        I froze up and I was looking down at my hands. I was sitting hip to hip with my mom, which was probably not a good idea. As soon as I told her, I was giving her easy access to slap me. I shifted away from her a bit. 

"Why would you be scared? I like for you to be open with me."

        In my head I was thinking, "The only thing open about me was my legs and now I'm caught up in a bad situation".

"Okay...I'm in a bad situation."

"Just say it baby, I don't have all day."

"I-I...I'm having...a baby..."

        As I said that, my eyes were closed. I was afraid to open them and my head was facing down.

"You're? This has to be a joke. It better be a joke."