Chapter 14: Boredom

"What's up, am I calling too late?

"Well duh..."

"Well I been thinkin' 'bout when you said you wanted to come stay with me. I think I shoulda had your back."

       I looked over my shoulder at my mom to make sure she was still sleeping. I watched her stomach go up and down, before I responded to Shaun, "Well, I don't need somewhere to stay, I'm over it now."

"Alright. So we gonna chill tomorrow?"

"Shaun, I think we should spend less time together."

"Damn girl, you actin' like we in a relationship."

"I never said that."

"Alright, imma let you go."

       I fell back asleep and didn't wake up until the morning. When I woke up I felt good because I wasn't feeling sick. I sat up, stretched in my bed, and then pulled out my phone from under my pillow. It was 12:09 PM, and my mom wasn't beside me, so I was guessing she was at work.

       I brushed my teeth and then went into the kitchen to see what I could make from brunch. Just as I was about to open up the fridge, my phone rang in my room. I ran down the hall, fumbled with my phone. and then checked the caller I.D. It was Shaun again, but I decided I would ignore it. I promised myself I would take a long break away from him because my stomach would eventually begin to grow, so I might as well cut off our friendship early.

       I walked back into the kitchen, reopened the fridge and since I was in the mood for some cereal I grabbed the plastic aqua milk jug. I put the milk jug on top of dishwasher, then grabbed the box of Corn Flakes from on top of the fridge. I removed a plastic florescent bowl from the cupboard above the kitchen sink and started preparing my brunch.

       When I finished my bowl of cereal, my morning sickness hit me unexpectedly. I quickly rose from the table knocking my chair over, and made it to the bathroom just in time. I was on my knees with my hands placed on my thighs and I was throwing up everything I just ate. When my cereal was out of my system, I started throwing up clear liquids. Every time I gagged, my stomach sucked completely in and it felt like someone was punching me in my gut.

       When I got everything out of my system, I got up and flushed the toilet. I rinsed my mouth with cool water, then brushed my teeth again. I guess my baby didn't like milk because this was the second time I threw up after eating a bowl of cereal.

        I knew today was going to be a boring day because I had no where to go, so I went to lay in my bed and explore my new phone since I wasn't given a chance to. While I was lying in my bed on my back, I contemplated on downloading a game app, but I didn't feel like focusing on a game. My body hurt all over and I was beginning to feel like I had the flu. After about twenty minutes of navigating through my phone, I put it under my pillow and a sighed deeply. I had my hands on my stomach, one over the other and I was beginning to doze off. 

                                                                                          *****

"During the day I have to be strong

I try so hard to show that nothing is wrong.

But at night my nightmares effect me,

When I am woken my tears will flow,

It was just so sudden you had to go.

My birthday news was your death,

Now my next birthday I will be depressed.

I'll always honour you dad,

I'll admire the good things.

People always asking if I'm okay.

But the truth is that I'll always be sad."

       When I looked up from the podium, almost everyone was either dabbing the corner of their eye with tissue, or blowing their nose. I stood their frozen, looking up at the crowd, until I was escorted by the same two men that helped my mother. 

       When seated, I started to feel horrible for reciting my poem that I wrote in school a couple days after his death. My poem was depressing and the point of a funeral was to try and make everyone feel better, not more sad. I intertwined my fingers and put them in my lap, and put my head down. I nervously looked at the burgundy carpet and I felt my mom's arm go around me.

                                                                                         *****

        I jumped out of my sleep from my phone making a loud vibration sound. Once again, I dreamt of my dad, but at least the dream wasn't as bad as the others. I was tired of recapping the death of my father, but for some reason that was mostly all I ever dreamt about. 

        I pulled my phone from under my pillow and the vibration was from a voice mail. My phone must have been ringing while I was sleeping, but I was in such a deep sleep that it didn't wake me up. I decided that I wouldn't listen to my voice mail, because the only people that could be calling is either my mom or Shaun. 

        I relaxed in bed on my side, and stared at my broken alarm clock. It had many memories of different things. But most of all, it reminded me of Janelle. This is the same stupid alarm clock that used to either wake me up on time or malfunction and make me late. It reminded me of the days when me and Janelle used to race to see who would be up and dressed for school first, and I would usually win because she would end up arriving at my house late. I won't lie to myself, I definitely missed Janelle, and I could tell this was going to be a boring summer break without her.