Chapter 2: Not A Good Feeling

RING! RING! RING!

        The phone snapped me outta my thoughts. I quickly jumped up and ran for the phone just outside the kitchen, in the living room. 

"Janelle?"

"Kendra I'm actually up! Can you believe it!?"

"Nah, I actually can't."

        I took the cordless phone into the kitchen with me so I could look at the clock. It read 8:32 AM. Damn, my thoughts carried me away too far this time.

"Kendra!?"

"Huh? Damn you scared me; quit yellin' in the phone like that."

"I asked if you were ready. We have a fifteen minute walk, and I don't wanna be rushin' like always."

"Yeah, come downstairs and get me and we'll take the stairs together like usual."

"'Kay, bye."

        Janelle lives upstairs on the fourth floor, the highest floor in our tiny brown brick building. I live on the third floor. I quickly grabbed my plain black pullover sweater that I got from Wal-Mart for seven dollars, and carefully put it on, over my head. Since its the middle of May, its warm as hell outside and I'm glad I don't need a jacket because I don't have one. 

        Just as I was about to get comfortable on my beige two-seater sofa, I heard a beat on my front door that sounded like the beat from Busta Rhymes Touch It

"Coming!"

        I ran to my room quickly, got my faux leather black purse and ran to the front door. When I opened it Janelle wasn't there and I was about to get frustrated, since we were about to be late on a late start. 

"RAWR!"

"Dayum! What's your problem!?"

        I should've known Janelle was hiding just outside my door. I hate it when people scare me, and I know for sure I have to get her back. 

"Aha! You shoulda seen your face. You looked like you were about to have a heart attack."

"I don't know why you think this is so funny. Let's just go."

       I locked my door and Janelle and I headed for the staircase that was across from my door. As we were walking to school we had small talk about how much we hated school and how much we couldn't wait for summer break to arrive. Minutes later, we arrived at West Brook High and walked  through the side doors, where there were a bunch of flyer's promoting a party. I picked up one of the party flyer's and it read Hot & Sweaty.

"Yo, put that flyer down. You're too skinny to party."

"Shut up Anthony! Quit watching me."

        Anthony is a guy that loves to tease everyone about the way they look. I've known him for about two months and I regret it. You know those people that you meet, and then you wish you could've relived that moment and walk past them? That's how I feel about Anthony.

"Anthony, you always tryna make fun of people." 

"Yo, Janelle you know I'm just joking, chill out."

"Well it's not considered a joke since no one is laughing" 

"I laughed."

"Well you're the one who said it so it doesn't count"

"Yo, whatever hater."

       I love my best friend, since she always has my back no matter what. She would never hesitate to fight anyone for me too.              

"It's okay Janelle, let's just go."

"Yeah that's right, both y'all get outta here." 

       Janelle just had to give Anthony one last look before we both headed our separate ways to our lockers.