Chapter 2.

"Are you ready for the exam today?" She asked.

"Of course, I've been studying for weeks!" I answered confidently.

"Everyone knows you're going to ace it Kaitlyn." 

It actually felt good to know that people believed I'd pass.

"Oh and my Mum wants to know if you'd like to come to dinner at my house tonight." She added.

"Um.. I don't know yet, I'll let you know before school finishes." My parents instantly ran through my mind. I'd have to ask dad about it.

"Kaitlyn, what's wrong, you seem kind of out of it lately." She said.

Courtney always ends up finding out everything. I can't keep secrets from her, I have been for three months now, but I didn't know how long I could keep it up.

I told her that I was perfectly fine, and she had an unsure look on her face.

We kept on walking to school and made our way into the school yard. We walked to our lockers and put our bags away. Her locker was 2 down from mine.

I put my phone in my pocket and shut my locker door.

"Look over there." Courtney said pointing.

I looked over and it was my ex boyfriend, Justin. We broke up about 2 months ago, because I didn't feel like going anywhere, and whenever he made plans to go somewhere with me, I always cancelled because I was either going to the hospital or I was spending the day crying, and he just got over me.

So we broke up, but surprisingly, it didn't bother me that much, because having a boyfriend wasn't my first priority. It never had been. My family always, and I repeat, ALWAYS comes first in my lifestyle.

"Have you two talked lately?" Courtney asked.

"Nah, not really, we'll occasionally have the whole 'how are you' conversation, but other then that, we don't really talk." I explained.

"I still can't believe you two broke up. You guys where like, the hot couple of the school. The couple everyone talked about." She over exaggerated.

"Courtney, Justin was the popular one, not me." I said.

"You're the shy one." She retorted.

"True. We broke up, it's as simple as that. Everything happens for a reason." I looked down.

I actually missed being with Justin, but I wanted him to be happy. I looked up at him, and strangly enough, he was looking at me.

He smiled at me, and I smiled back.

I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket.

I check it and I had a new message.

*1 new message.*

I opened it and it was from Dad.

'Kaitlyn, I'm getting you out of school early today, you need to be at the hospital.' It read.

I suddenly felt my stomach drop.

I became so nervous. What was happening now? I thought to myself.

I texted him back asking what was wrong, and he said he'd explain everything when I got there and that he'll be picking me up straight after my exam.

I didn't know how I was going to focus.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We'd just finished the exam. I'm positive I did badly. I was to worried, and I think I may have failed.

I called my Dad and he said he was at the front of the school.

I quickly found Courtney and told her that Dad was picking me up now and we were going to have a day out so I couldn't have dinner at her place.

I lied.

I quickly went to the front of the school and saw Dad's car. I opened the door and sat down. I put my seat belt on and we drove off.

The car ride was completely silent.

When we arrived at the hospital, we went to the 'Intensive care' ward where Mum was being kept.

We walked closer to the room she was in and in the distance I could see a tall, familiar figure.

As we got closer, I realised it was Riley.

He turned around and saw me with Dad.

I ran up to him and threw myself in his arms, instantly crying. He hugged me back. Riley and I weren't the type of siblings to fight. He was always there for me, and he always gave me advice. But because he's been away at university, I didn't really have anyone to talk to.

He was finally back.

After I had calmed down I let go of him. I wipped the tears away from my face and turned to my Dad.

Riley kept and arm over my shoulder, dang he was tall.

"We're going to go in there, individually and say our last words to your mother." He said. I could tell he was trying not to cry.

"W-what?" I stuttered.

"It's time Kaitlyn." He whispered.

I knew this was going to happen, but you can never ever prepare yourself for something like this happening.

I sat down next to Riley. He seemed okay with it, but I know he wasn't, he was just holding it together for me. That's what I'd been doing for Dad.

Riley went in first and shut the door behind him. I hadn't seen Mum in a couple of days so I didn't know what to expect.

"You can take as much time as you need, Kaitlyn." Dad said.

He put a hand on my upper back.

I couldn't look up, and I had my eyes set on the ground.

After a couple of minutes, Riley came out.

I peeled my eyes away from my feet and looked up at him. He looked so gutted. I didn't know if I could do this.

I just sat there.

"Kaitlyn.." Riley said.

"Would you like me to go in with you?" He added.

I shook my head.

This was something I needed to do by myself.

I finally stood up and walked closer to the door. I opened it and quickly shut it behind me.

My eyes filled with tears, knowing that after I leave this room, I'll never be able to speak to her again.

I walked over the her side and sat down. I took her hand in mine.

I had so much to say, but I couldn't find the right words. 

After a moment, I finally found the energy to speak.

"Mum.. Thankyou." I began.

"Thankyou for bringing me into this world. You gave me the best life I could of possibly asked for. I've always been so grateful for everything you and Dad have done for me. Mum, I love you. I hope you know that. You, Dad and Riley mean more then anything to me, and I don't know what I would of done without any of you. But now, I'm losing you." I spoke.