Chapter Four

I could still hear Lucy talking, a little buzzing noise next to my ear.

I would've listened, but I was too busy in my own world.

Across the room from me, was one of the most beautiful people I have ever seen in my entire life. I stared at him and it took me a minute to register the fact that he was staring back at me; my heart skipped a bit when our eyes locked on each other.

"Hey, Tyler! Tyler!"

Forcefully, I pulled my eyes away from the boy across the room to turn my gaze on Lucy."Uh huh?"I asked, absent-minded, I was too distracted by this boy to pay much attention to what she was saying.

"Are you even listening?"she asked in an exasperated voice.

I nodded, my eyes sliding away from her and across the room..

"Hey,"she poked my side, making me squirm. "What're you staring at?"

Lucy followed my gaze."Oh."

She laughed and said in a sing-song voice,"Tyler has a crush! Tyler has a crush!"

I folded my arms across my chest and looked down."I do not,"I mumbled, but I felt my face heat up a little.

"You do. You like him. Aw, look see, you're blushing. That's cute,"Lucy said, poking me again and I turned away from her.

I heard her sigh and wait a few seconds to say,"Do you know who he is?"

I shook my head.

"Well,"she continued,"I've never seen him around before. You think he could be a new kid?"

I shrugged."Possibly. I didn't hear anyone talking about a new kid, though."

"Mm,"Lucy said."Me neither. But hey, do you want me to ask him if he's gay?"

My head snapped towards her."Lucy, you don't just walk up to a stranger and ask them if they're gay. That's just. . .sort of rude."

"Whatever,"she said as the bell rang, and she grabbed my hand pulling me out the cafeteria doors, me struggling to keep up with her in my crutches.

I looked back just as I was walking out the door, and my heart dropped a bit when I saw the boy wasn't there anymore.

"Luce, slow down. You're killing me here,"I said, trying to free my hand from her grasp.

It was proving difficult to hold Lucy's hand while using crutches at the same time.

"Oh," she shook her fingers out of mine, slowing her pace."Sorry. Instinctive thing."

"I know," I smiled.

Lucy and I were so close, that it was just normal for us to hold hands most of the time.

"I've got to go, mi amor," I said to Lucy."My class is this way."

"Okay Albert," she said, hugging me lightly."See you after school."

I nodded and walked away, laughing slightly at the way she'd called me 'Albert'. As in Albert Einsten?

English class went by as good as usual, and so did Spanish. And then things changed when I went into science class.

I was greeted by the usual 'Hi's and 'Hey's, making my way to a seat at the back of the room. Everyone usually crowded for the back; you had to fight for a seat there. But today there was only three people already seated there: A girl with long red hair, who's name I think is Jenna, a small freckled boy from my maths class named Jeremy and the boy from the cafeteria.

My heart rate felt like it was accelarating by a million beats per second. He was sitting on his own, looking down at his hands, his pale blond hair falling into his pale blue eyes.

His skin was a creamy colour, it looked a lot like mine actually. I noticed a faded pink streak at the end of his blond fringe and thought that was kind of cute. I felt an urge to go over and sit with him, but I knew that I'd just get all nervous and stuttery if I did, so instead I took a seat next to Jeremy, who looked up in suprise as I sat next to him.

"Hey," I said, smiling at him and taking out my books.

It was getting a bit harder to seem happy without Lucy around; but I wasn't going to get someone like Jeremy worried about me. The kid looks like he's got enough on his plate.

"Hi,"he replied, and then asked."Are you,um. . .what happened to your...?"

"My face?Or my leg?"

He looked a bit embarrassed, but said,"Uh, both."

"Fell down the stairs like the idiot I am,"I said smoothly. I was quite a good liar.

"But the bruise looks like-"

"I got that from smacking my face off the ground when I fell,"I said shortly, cutting him off. I knew he was going to say 'looks like someone hit you'.

"Oh, okay."

We didn't talk after that, just listened to the teacher and I tried to keep my gaze from straying to the boy only a few seats away from me.

While the teacher was droning on about something on the board, I lost my self control and looked over at him.

He was holding a notebook under the table, and it looked like he was writing something.

I just stared at him, praying that he wouldn't look up. He bit his lip and read over what he had written, then closed the notebook and put it on the table in front of him. I tried to ignore the fluttery feeling I got in my stomach when he bit his lip.

I continued to stare at him, like the weird person I am. He flicked his fringe out of his eyes numerous times, which I found adorable. Usually that annoys me, with my fringe always being in my eyes, but the way he did it was kind of cute.

Finally I tore my gaze away from him to write down my homework, and the bell rang.

The boy was lost in the rush of people trying to get out the door, and I couldn't see him anymore. I'd reached the door when I looked back and saw that I'd forgotten my book on the table, I went back and got it, and then noticed another book too.

The teacher had left, and I walked over and picked up the little notebook the blond boy had been writing in.

Looks like he forgot it. Maybe I should leave it here, I thought, But then someone else might take it.

So I decided to just take it; I had science again tomorrow, I could give it back to him them. I smiled to myself, knowing I'd get to talk to him tommorrow.