Chapter Three

The front door was left open; I was glad because I didn't have a key.

The hall light was on so I knew my dad was home.

"Um. . .Dad?" I called out quietly, making my way into the house and shutting the door.

Suddenly my dad appeared in the kitchen doorway, and he shook his head at me.

"Look at you," he spat."You're. . .You're. . ."

He couldn't even finish his sentence, I could feel the anger off him; his fists were clenched.

I shrank back a bit, scared.

"Sorry,"I said, looking down. I didn't really know what I had to be sorry for to him, but I just felt the need to say it.

He laughed, cruelly. "You know, I wish you'd done a better job. Then maybe you'd be dead and I'd actually be happier."

He laughed again and walked towards me. I braced myself for what I was sure was to come next, but it never did. He just brushed past me and out the front door.

I sank to the floor. That went better than I expected it to.

I wasn't sure when he was going to come back, but I hoped that it wasn't anytime soon.

Making my way slowly up the stairs, I entered the depressive state of my room.

The box was still there, toppled over, and the belt was still hanging from the brass bar over the curtains.

I tore it down and threw it against the wall. The buckle made a chip in the wall; I didn't really care.

Ignoring every stupid thought floating around in my head, I crashed onto my bed and fell asleep, into a suburb, beautiful and quiet world of darkness.

"Welcome to your life

we have got you in our sights

And thoughts of God are better left alone

It’s in your head black n’ blue

what they told you wasn’t true

Come along and fight with the unknown!"

I woke up to Black Veil Brides screaming in my ear.

I looked around my room to make sure I hadn't  walked to one of their live concerts or something. But sadly, it was only my phone.

I checked the number and picked up."What?"

"Someone got up on the wrong side of-"

"Luce, cut it out. What do you want?"I said, yawning.

I heard her laugh a little. I was always in a foul mood in the mornings, and she loved provoking me at this time."Just called to wake you up. I'll be there in thirty minutes, okay honey?"

"Yeah,"I yawned, and then hung up.

Okay, maybe I'd been a little brusque. But it was the morning, give me a break.

As I got up, I remembered that I needed my crutches, and sighed. I remembered everything that had happened in one quick flash of memory and it put me into a worse mood than the one I was in already.

I showered, got dressed and skipped breakfast, in case my dad was passed out in the kitchen.

Usually when he storms off like he did last night, it's to go drinking. And usually he ends up passed out on the kitchen floor.

As I was walking out the front door, I caught a glimpse of myself in the hallway mirror and sighed.

The bruise had turned black, and wasn't as big as I'd thought it was before -but it was still pretty big and obvious.