Chapter 10

I pushed past the bushes of the forest behind the house, water still dripping from my body. I hated the weekly meetings that my father had made me attend. But as the King of all Ocean God’s, his word was law.

“It’s for the good of our kind, Tylorian. You will stick to the plan! The girl must perish.” Svor’s voice echoed in my mind and my chest grew heavy as the words sunk in.

The moment I told my father that I’d succeeded in finding the lost Moon Daughter, he had been ecstatic and filled with pride in me, a plan already formed in his mind.

I was to wait until the night of her 21st birthday when her transition from human to God will take place. She will be in immense pain and will need someone to keep her conscious. She will be at her weakest. Then I was to take the blade of my ancestors, the Sword of Aqua, and slaughter her like a meaningless animal.

My fists tightened as I tried to imagine anyone harming her, let alone myself.

 I kept the part about the girl being my Tanahya from Svor. If he found out that I was destined to mate with a Moon God then I’d be banished.

It wasn't a secret that all Ocean Gods despised the Moon Gods and Svor would especially be repulsed to discover that his only son and heir to the throne, was to be mated with a “Dirty Rock Dweller”. My father wasn't a harsh man, he was usually very humble. But when it came to the Moon Gods, there was no Mercy.

The Ocean and Moon Gods had been engaging in a long war for nearly ten thousand years, since my grandfather, Tylorian The 1st’s rule as King. I remembered my father telling me when I was just a young boy about how it all began.

*******Tylorian The 1st was a hard man. He wasn’t opposed to speaking his mind and would often make enemies with other Gods, but he really only wanted what was best for his kind.

He loathed the Moon Gods for their ability to control the ocean’s movements, swells and tides. He tried to persuade Hale, who was King of the Moon Gods at that time, to relinquish all power that the Moon had over the ocean. There was disagreement and argument. That was when Hale took the blade of his ancestors, the Sword of Stellar and brother to the Sword of Aqua, and killed Tylorian.

We gathered our best warriors and took to the lunar kingdom, my father included. We succeeded to kill Hale. They retaliated with a great force and slaughtered many of our kind, including my mother.

There had been war ever since.*******

My mother... I thought as I started pacing slowly in the field. I was just a baby when the Moon Gods first raided our kingdom and killed her.

I was never allowed to talk about her when I was growing up. Nobody ever mentioned her and if they did then they were ignored or dismissed. I once caught a glimpse of a painting of her just before it was burned, along with all other evidence that she ever existed.

I held on to that memory of the painting. She was beautiful. I remembered her beautiful blue-green eyes, which I heard were the same colour of the ocean. I remembered her flowing coal black hair. I’d tried numerous times to re-paint that image on canvas but no matter how many hours I spent trying to perfect each and every painting, none were as accurate and beautiful as she was in my mind. I never really understood why no one was allowed to speak of her, but there was no way I was going to ask Svor. He was very touchy about the subject.