Chapter 4

==Contains sexual content. Discretion advised. ==

Alex pushed and stumbled her way through the crowd, moving as fast as she could toward the last place she'd seen her girls.

She hated him. And she especially hated how after only just meeting him, he had the power to affect her like that. She could feel the tears stinging the corners of her eyes and she used the last of her willpower to hold them back.

She spotted Mel at the first bar trying to get the barmaid's attention. Alex was hoping it was her last drink, she just wanted to go home. She tapped Mel on the shoulder and her face went from happy, to sad, to angry in an instant. “Alex? Babe, what’s wrong?” she asked, pulling her into a hug.

“Nothing. Everything's cool.” she lied and pulled away. Mel and Tee didn’t need to know how easily one irrelevant guy got under her skin. They especially didn't need to know about how he made her feel things she'd never felt before. And all within the short time she'd met him.

“My feet hurt, that’s all,” she shrugged.

“Are you sure, babe? Because I’m not above kicking anybody’s ass.” Mel looked at her sternly and she laughed half-heartedly. “I’m fine. Really.” Alex hoped she was buying it, because she wasn’t in the mood to explain the ‘mystery man’ to her, or anybody else.

“Where were you anyway? Tee and I turned our backs for 5 seconds and you were gone! We just assumed you snagged a hottie and went to the back tables,” she wagged her eyebrows. Well that explained all the couples back there getting it on.

“You know me better than that.” Alex forced a smile, “I was just at the other bar resting my feet.” Which were still killing her. “Where’s Tee?” she asked trying to change the subject.

Mel gestured toward the crowds, “She’s on the floor with some guy she’s taken a liking to.” They exchanged a knowing look then laughed. This guy was going to be eaten alive.

Just then Tee appeared with a tall, lean guy who had a very happy smile on his face. “Girls, this is uh-“, she turned to him, “what is it again?”

“Max,” he said unbothered by Mel’s lack of interest in details.

“Max! Of course it is. Max. This is Max.” Alex wasn’t sure if she was talking to them or just trying to memorise the name herself. They shook his hand and it quickly became obvious that both he and Tee were pretty tipsy. They couldn't stand still and were laughing at everything and nothing.

And just like the lifesaver she is, Mel asked if they were ready to go. Alex was quick to answer, “Yes! I’ll call a cab.”

A few minutes later they started making their way toward the exit when Tee needed to go to the bathroom. She quickly ducked away while the rest of them stood near the exit, waiting.

“Oh man, I can’t believe Tina is letting me go home with her. She’s so hot!” Max’s breath reeked of alcohol.

“Yeah, you must be real special,” Mel rolled her eyes at Alex and they giggled. Max put his arm around Alex’s shoulders and rested some of his weight on her. He lowered his head to her ear, “She’s into me. Right? Do you think she’s into me?”

“Of course she is. Ignore Mel. She’s just got her grumpy panties in a twist.” They laughed as Mel poked her tongue at them.

Suddenly Alex felt a cold shiver run down her spine. She scanned the room and found Tyler sitting at a table glaring in her direction.