Chapter 5

The cab ride home was uneventful. Alex sat in the backseat with Tee and Max, who were all over each other, while Mel sat up front. She moved as far away as she could from the two acquaintances as they sucked faces, and then she stared out her window recalling the events of the night.

She recalled his ruggedly handsome features and his sexy voice. She recalled the way he made her heart melt when they touched and the electric sparks that ran down her spine when he watched her. She remembered the way her heart had sunk when she turned away from him and left the club. She couldn’t understand it; there was just something about him. And what was he hiding? Tanahya... a voice in my mind had said. Great, she thought, I’m schizophrenic now? Maybe she’d had too much to drink.

Finally arriving home, Alex headed straight for the door anxious to get the torturous heels off. She sat on the couch then pulled them off one by one and sighed as she felt instant relief.

“Aw babe, next time wear flats”, Mel plonked herself on the couch beside her “So, how was your night?”  She asked?

“You guys practically forced me to wear those” Alex said with a strained smile, “But I had an ok night, how about you?” she felt guilty for lying, but anything was better than having to explain Tyler.

Mel squealed with excitement “Oh my god babe! Do you remember Danny Donavan from high school?” Before she could answer Mel continued, “Well he was there and he asked me out!”

Alex joined in on her happiness and hugged Mel. She’d had a crush on him in high school but he’d had a girlfriend at the time, and one hell of a reputation as a womaniser. But now he’s apparently single, and has changed his ways... Alex felt like rolling her eyes as her suspicious instincts spiked, she hadn't much experience with men but she didn’t doubt that saying, how’d it go? ‘Once a player always a player’..? Yeah that’s the one. She just didn’t want Mel’s heart to get broken, again, or so help her god she would hunt Danny down and force feed him his own ass.

Alex looked over at Mel and saw a glimmer of hope and excitement in her eyes. She hid her scepticism and took a deep breath; she smoothed her features out then smiled. Alex wasn’t going to rain on Mel’s parade, at least not tonight.

Tee and Max were already in her room and Mel, all giddy and delighted, waved goodnight and went to bed. Alex got up wearily from the couch and headed for her room. She closed the door then stripped out of her clothes and slumped on the bed.

She laid there staring up at the ceiling going over and over the events of night. She closed her eyes and tried to force herself to sleep but images of Tyler kept popping into her mind. Alex’s body heated to the images and her heart skipped a beat. She wished he was here right now; she wanted to feel his touch just one more time...

She shook the thoughts from her mind, squeezed her eyes closed and tried to think about something else. Like school for instance. She had a painting due in on Wednesday and she hadn’t even started. The assignment was to paint your favourite childhood memory which was especially difficult for her because up until she was a teenager, her life was rough.

Alex was dumped in an orphanage as a baby. Unloved and unwanted, she was mistreated for the first 12 years of her life. Until she’d finally built up enough courage to run away from the only residence and hell hole she’d ever known. It was not long after her 12th birthday and she’d been living on the streets for months, when Mel’s father had found her. Harry was a priest at the local church and was such a gentle soul. He welcomed Alex into his home with open arms. She and Mel had become best friends immediately.