}29{ Effect

[6:23PM, November 14, UTC ±00:00]

What the fuck are those?

Olutayo frowned at the little creatures scurrying between the dining room and the kitchen. They looked like deformed dwarves, with orangey brown skin – almost like bronze – which contrasted their completely black eyes and metallic white hair. They came into the room in different ways, some floating, some walking and others appearing in flashes of yellow light, laying out silverware and platters of food in the middle of the large dining table before leaving in whatever manner they came. His siblings and the members of their extended family sat, seemingly comfortable with having a bunch of magical beings whizzing through the place. Just knowing that these things were handling their food put him on edge.

"They are Proles," Maureen said, looking at him from the head of the table. "That's short for 'proletariat Nomes'. They work for us."

He stared at one levitating in front of him as it dropped a casserole dish. It gave him a perfunctory glance and floated back down to floor, rushing back to the kitchen on its short legs.

"Are they magical?" Brian asked.

Alison snorted. "What do you think?"

"I think they're magical," he said, oblivious to the sarcasm.

"And where exactly do these...Proles come from?" Olutayo asked.

"The Elfin kingdom," Aunt Julia said as she walked into the room. She pulled out the chair next to Maureen and sat. "They're like the official workmen of the Elfin royal family."

"So why are they in this house?"

"They're part of the contract, dear," Maureen said, smiling.

He didn't really trust really her either, despite how nice she had been when she met him. The Proles finished working and he breathed a sigh of relief when their procession stopped, before studying what they had left behind. Their dinner was lamb casserole and mashed potatoes, thick spicy gravy, a salad with bits of chicken in it and an assortment of wine. It all looked and smelled good, but it would have been stupid to believe that things were what they seemed when there was magic involved.

"What 'contract'?" he asked, shifting his attention back to Maureen.

"This is hardly dinner conversation," she answered. "Let's eat."

"What about Mum and Dad?"Brian asked, eyeing their empty seats.

"They'll be here soon," Aunt Julia said. "Can't let the food get cold."

"Okay then," Alison said, practically drooling at the casserole. She reached over to pick the serving spoon, and Olutayo glared at her so heatedly that she reeled back. He turned to Maureen.

"You go first."

Maureen gave him a strange look and raised her eyebrows.

"But it's right in front of you," she said. He picked up the casserole dish and dropped it closer to her. Everyone was staring at him, but he didn't care. Some things were more important than trying to be polite.

"You go first," he repeated.

"Tayo, what are you doing? That's rude!" Sarah shouted.

"Spare me the socially appropriate B-S, Fola," he replied. Maureen gave him an unimpressed look and the casserole dish levitated off the table and floated slowly towards her plate. The serving spoon lifted a large helping of lamb stew onto her plate and went back into the dish, which floated back to its original position in front of him. Everyone on the table was quiet now, and all eyes were back on him.